Change in Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow-Belle

5 Year Member
Greetings All,
My tortoise spent the past few months outside during the day and was fed a diet (along with his 'foraging') consisting of grape and mulberry leaves, daylily flowers, rose petals, hibiscus leaves and flowers, clover and dandelions. As it got cooler he spent more time inside while eating the same things he had when he was outside...
Now that winter is approaching, most of his 'diet' is dying out or dropping leaves (I live in Minnesota). For the past month I'd been mixing in greens from the grocery store (organic romaine lettuce, endive, etc.) and he is not as fond of these as he is his backyard diet. I didn't realize tortoises could be picky.
I have three hibiscus I am overwintering inside for his benefit, and have potted up some dandelions, daylilies and even a small mulberry sapling (I waited too long to pot up a grape, they've gone dormant).
Again, I've been mixing in these 'grocery store' greens with his normal diet for the past month so it wouldn't be a drastic, overnight change in diet, but he seems to prefer his outside type of food and I'm not sure my 'indoor' garden will produce enough to support him all winter. Will he eventually be more receptive to the grocery store greens?
Is this normal?
Any suggestions?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Michele:

Try Spring Mix. Its in the packaged lettuce part of the produce section.

Snow-Belle

5 Year Member
As this is my first year (and coming winter) with Nijinsky, I am not going to attempt hibernation with him this year-I hope this won't be a problem
He is about 4 1/2 inches long...
He was a gift to me after my pet box turtle that I'd had over 20 years died...so he is my first tortoise.
Should I supplement his diet with something like Mazuri Tortoise diet?
I just LOVE this little guy and I want him to be happy and healthy!!!!!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Yes, eventually he will learn to love his grocery store greens. Mine seem to prefer them once they get used to them, and that's where I have to be careful ... that they don't get too attached to the greens and not eat their natural greens.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just want to say you are doing a fantastic job, Snow-Belle.

Snow-Belle

5 Year Member
I just can't get over how much PERSONALITY this little guy has.... I guess it's something only other tortoise lovers can understand...my coworkers refer to me as the 'crazy turtle lady' and one person seriously commented that having a tortoise is like having a pet rock....

Status
Not open for further replies.