Levi the attack tortoise...er..I mean leopard tortoise

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Levi is my 4 year old Leopard tortoise. I've had him since he was 4 weeks old.
He went from behaving like a pretty rock--> to the standard, active tortoise --> to a feisty tortoise all by his 3rd birthday. Well, shortly after turning 4 this past spring he went from feisty to unbelievably aggressive! Yikes!

He hates me. I thought it was just my pink crocs he wanted to destroy. But I now know that no matter my footwear, he aims to take me down.
I just can't take the abuse anymore. My ankles hurt and black and blue is not flattering on me.

In all fairness, I'm not his only target. The firewood pile, the air conditioning unit (and the repair man), an art easel and water being sprayed from the hose have all been subjected to his hatred. He has yet to turn on the children but I can't allow it to get that far. He must be stopped.

So, Levi must say goodbye to the backyard. He will no longer have unlimited free reign.

He's going from this:
0910161737.jpg

0910161737b.jpg

To this:
..prison..
0910161734.jpg

The side yard is being converted into his jail cell. It looks awful right now because I spent the day raking up debris, clearing the non-tort friendlies and leveling the ground. Measuring at 5ft wide and, well I didn't measure the length, it's a step down for sure. There's no food growing yet and unfortunately it's the East side of the house. The exact reasons I was never going to put him there to begin with.
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

A few supplies:
0910161735.jpg

The level ground for his heated house:
0910161735a.jpg

But because I still like the shelled monster, he will get a tortoise door in the fence to his cell. That way he can still enjoy yard time. When I have the steel toe boots on! ;) :tort:

Updates shared as I complete them unless a hospital stay for ankle surgery delays the progress.

0910161735b.jpg
If looks could kill

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Awww, poor Levi. That is a math look he's giving you.
My rescued leopard, Lillie, didn't turn out female so now is named Billy, likes to charge at me when he sees me. However, once I stop and look at him he stops, lowers himself and will just walk over to my feet. I don't trust him to not take a bite, so I don't let him get too close. He did one time ram the bottom of my shoe when I was kneeled down and I almost fell over. That would had been a sight not too see LOL.
Now Tatum, still my Lover Boy.
Hopefully Levi will think about what he has done while he's in jail and mend his ways.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Billie is testing the Chicago waters!

Surprisingly this little 10lb tort can and has taken me down. But only when he catches me off guard. I've fallen half a dozen times at least.

I don't want to remove him from the yard completely, hence the turtle door. But he needs a jail cell, turtle time out, something!
I figure by moving his stuff over there, he can have the basics should I need to punish him for any length of time. In other words, if I have guests over and we want to play outside for half the day without the threat of a mini bulldozer.

Maybe he has a Sulcata complex?

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
Levi is SO handsome. I can't imagine him ramming into your legs. My Leopard, Cleo, will sometimes come to me, but typically she totally ignores my presence and I have to seek her out for feeding time or soaking. Unless I'm holding something she can see (hibiscus flowers for example) she doesn't bother. My Russian... He has learned the difference between biting my shoe and biting my skin. He's snuck up on me a few times and climbed my shoe to take a snap at skin. Very territorial. Maybe it's a male thing?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It is a male thing. Hence the tortoise fence round our lawn to protect us from 7.5lb of Greek male when he's in the mood. I know where he is and he can't get to us. I'm not sure how heavy a tortoise the fencing would resist though. There's no sign of weakness when Joe is trying to break through.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1473694662.938144.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1473694676.126909.jpg

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
It is a male thing. Hence the tortoise fence round our lawn to protect us from 7.5lb of Greek male when he's in the mood.

I love this! My Russian used to enjoy a larger rock that was in his enclosure. That's how I was first flashed. I heard the mating squeak and went to investigate.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I shouldn't laugh, but your story telling is top quality. I want to see a video of this aggression, having reds and hingebacks I don't see this sort of aggression.
Really you don't. Well not if there's sound. The language used by the human involved isn't suitable for the forum :D

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'll figure out how to post the video, tonight. I'm not exaggerating. He charges for me the minute I enter the yard.
If he can see me through the sliding glass door, he'll pace the concrete step looking for a way to get me! My husband had to see it to believe it.

Interestingly, I have never seen him mount or "do the nasty boy thing" at all. It's just plain hatred at this point.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'll figure out how to post the video, tonight. I'm not exaggerating. He charges for me the minute I enter the yard.
If he can see me through the sliding glass door, he'll pace the concrete step looking for a way to get me! My husband had to see it to believe it.

Interestingly, I have never seen him mount or "do the nasty boy thing" at all. It's just plain hatred at this point.
I remember my brother being like this with my mum when he was maturing. Lol.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
So Levi is now imprisoned? Hope the "punishment" will result in something positive.

Personally I do not think that one can explain the behaviour of all animals, particularly torts: they only run for food, even if they know their owner. Not even a "Sigmund Freud" could explain this; I think. I'm saying so with all my respect to the experienced members at TFO.

Hope you are well, @Team Gomberg .

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

One way to load videos in is to upload it to YouTube 1st then copy the link into your post.