Leopard Yard Enlargement Project

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My Babcock leopards have a 45' long yard and about 3/4s of it is only 10' wide, opening up to about 25' wide the last quarter. They eat the grass down to the dirt. This first picture I'm standing just behind their south fence. Hard to see because of the bushes. It goes up to the wire fence:

Leopard yard enlargement a.jpg

Now I've walked up past the bushes. The wire fence just in front of me is a temporary dog kennel fence just put in place to keep the tortoises away from the bushes. It's too hard for this old body to climb under the bushes to gather up the strays in the evening to put them into the shed:

leopard yard enlargement b.jpg

This last shot shows the 40' square section of the pasture I've got strung. @Will will cut the wire fence and make an opening for the tortoises to go out into the new section. The string line shows where Will and I will be building the wooden perimeter fence to contain the tortoises:

leopard yard enlargement c.jpg

Once we have the new section open, I'll remove the separating fence between the Babcocks and SA's, and I'll fence straight across from the shed, where the temporary dog fence is now, giving the SA's the whole yard south of the shed.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Nice work and I'm sure the tortoises will be more than happy to have even more roaming room. Especially since they are all getting larger by the day. I'll be expanding my area come springtime. Keep us updated @Yvonne G . TFO is always better seeing post from you :) . Did you ever end up with any luck hatching out your PP eggs?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That looks like a good space to upgrade.

Are you going to add any plants or just leave it as a pasture-type space?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nice work and I'm sure the tortoises will be more than happy to have even more roaming room. Especially since they are all getting larger by the day. I'll be expanding my area come springtime. Keep us updated @Yvonne G . TFO is always better seeing post from you :) . Did you ever end up with any luck hatching out your PP eggs?

No. They're still in the incubator, but I'm sure they're all duds.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe we could make two pens there with the ability to switch one for use and one for rest? Just thinking out-loud with that.

Pasture management? it didn't work with the Sulcata. Once he knew there was another yard beyond the fence he kept breaking it down to get over there. But it might work with the leopards. We could fence across the middle with a gate at one end that goes into either pasture.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That looks like a good space to upgrade.

Are you going to add any plants or just leave it as a pasture-type space?

I may add a big shrub in the middle for hiding under, but other than that, no plants. Last week I raked it all up (roughed it up) and sprinkled seeds - a winter forage mixture plus a broad leaf Testudo mixture. There is also Bermuda that is dormant right now. The seeds are starting to come up.

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
we're moving on up, to the east side
...to a Deee-Lux apartment...:D

Looks like a promising project; it will be cool to look out there and see them all moving about in that space.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Over the past few months Will and I have accumulated several SA leopards, unrelated to each other, and it has become necessary to open more space for them. At this point, I only have two that are big enough to need the larger space, as the rest of them are still pretty small. So, here's mine and Will's new project:

This is the pasture we're going to extend their yard out into. I'm standing at the end of the current lepard yard and the new gate will be right at my feet here:

leopard project e.jpg

Will got here early afternoon Friday and immediately went out and dug post holes. He was able to get all of them dug before dark on Friday. Then Saturday he put up most of the boards, and this is what it looked like Saturday night at dusk:

leopard project a.jpg leopard project b.jpg

Disregard the railroad ties. I just pulled them away from the fence So Will could get the boards put up. The RR ties will be removed at the end of the project.

This is a look at the new area from the other end, and you can see the old vacant house I'm always referring to in the last picture, with my lovely supply of scrap lumber in front of it.

leopard project c.jpg leopard project d.jpg

It started to rain this morning, so we had to quit as it's just not safe operating an electric saw in the rain. But I have several clumps of zebra grass planted, a honeysuckle along the fence on the left, and there's not much left to do but cut the wire fence to the old leopard yard and make some inner yard fence adjustments. Will is coming back up in March and the project will be ready for its inhabitants.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's awesome!

So they will be able to walk from their current yard into this new area? What a great way to do it!

I want pics of the new tortoises!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, there's be an opening from their current yard directly into the new part. I'll then fence off from the shed to the privacy fence along the property line and the Babcock leopards will have that area. So, I'll have the Northern pasture for the SAs and the Southern pasture for the Babcocks. Ok, these are my SA leopard tortoises:

From Tom:
SA leopards 1-22-17 a.jpg
I'm not sure of where this blood lines from, and they may even be related, so I'll breed this female (the bigger tortoise), with BenAwes.

This one comes Randy Limburg lines:
SA leopards 1-22-17 b.jpg

These three come from Randy Limburg lines too, but from a different seller. They're about as big as a small adult Russian:

SA leopards 1-22-17 c.jpg

Then there's BenAwes, who I thought was female, but is definitely male. I think he comes from Price and Fife bloodlines. So he'll be a good male to go with Tom's female. I've put one of the three from above in with him only for size comparison for this picture:

SA leopards 1-22-17 d.jpg SA leopards 1-22-17 e.jpg

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I'm not sure they will like it, you better send those beauties to me...jk looks great

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
WOW. Very nice......

More to see next time when we visit! ! !