Leopard Tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
My point is you CAN'T take an observation of personality in a tortoise and call it a standard with that particular species regardless of the numbers. You can make a generalization of the tortoises you have seen, but it certainly doesn't mean it's a standard or common occurance specific to a species. Too many factors play into how a tortoise behaves...were all the babcocki's you've seen taken care of as well as the Pardalis you've seen? were the environmental, weather, and other conditions the same? Did you observe them over the course of many days? Maybe the tortoise was just having a slower day when you saw them. etc...

But, you feel you can obviously so we'll just have to agree to disagree I guess. It's unfortunate I think. Pauls, Tyler's, Johns, and my exerience with 'babknockers' has apparently been good and your's hasn't...I think you're missing out. But, not for long ;)

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I cannot believe you hijacked this poor kids thread to have a peeing contest.

He asked how humid a Leo should be... You are all very knowledgable and more than capable of answering that question. So please answer it.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
His question about humidity was already responded to...no need to beat that dead horse. He asked questions about the differences between the two different types of leopards, shouldn't he hear the arguments from both sides? I don't see how the thread was hijacked...this isn't seseme street, a little friendly spat about our subject is completley relevant to the thread.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
SOILID POINTS!... Great Advice John!!

squamata said:
Kennedy98 said:
How humid shoudl a leopard tortoise be?
if old school is totally dry and "new school is totally wet" a thinking man may find somewhere in the middle too be sufficient.the whole thing reminds me of the countless people who play with a thermostat.if a thermostat is set at 68 and the space remains at 72 even with the unit running continuously,what will turning the stat too 60 accomplish?anyway in my opinion just because the wet extreme works it may not be necesary.some of the people on the forum may not realize you are 14 kennedy98,and due too things beyond your control may not have the recources too provide a swamp like climate without risking the well being of the animal.so do yourself a favor and read as many opinions as you can and try too decide what you can handle too best provide a safe and healthy enviroment for your tort.this is what i do because it works for me,my temps range from 80 too 96,constant 60% humidity which i provide with humidifiers,i do not mist,i feed twice a day morning is mixed lettuces with mazuri,tortoise graze and calcium.evening is collards,squash and tortoise graze,i grow the tort graze in paint trays and trim it with scissors then chop it and mix it in,for lighting i use two 10.0 flouresent tubes combined with a 160 watt mega ray mvb bulb i soak evryday 15 min,again this it what works for me i am not a preacher.again do the research and decide for yourself what is good for you and your tort,and keep in mind there is a lot of cost involved. take care john

p.s there is a word you will see here,it is not my word but it is the smartest thing i've seen"balance".

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
My apologies, I was wrong. "This is not Sesame Street" cracked me up!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sean:

We've been having some fun at the expense of your thread. I apologize. All these guys really do like each other. They're not fighting, I promise. If you want the thread to get back on track all you have to do is say so. But my opinion is, when you allow back and forth banter like what we've experienced here, if you read between the lines, you are pretty much able to learn a whole heck of a lot.

So, say the word, and we'll get back on track...or not!

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
You took the words right out of my mouth Yvonne. Couldnt agree more

emysemys said:
Hi Sean:

We've been having some fun at the expense of your thread. I apologize. All these guys really do like each other. They're not fighting, I promise. If you want the thread to get back on track all you have to do is say so. But my opinion is, when you allow back and forth banter like what we've experienced here, if you read between the lines, you are pretty much able to learn a whole heck of a lot.

So, say the word, and we'll get back on track...or not!

Kennedy, there has been some banter on your thread and like Yvonne said "All these guys really like each other" atleast I do. Besides Yvonne's suggestion of reading between the lines (which is a great suggestion), I would ad... Look at the questions that were not answered by Tom on this thread. The questions he chose to ignore. I think if you go back and look for yourself the answer to your question will become more clear. I'll give you a clue - read my posts. And then ask yourself, why didnt he answer those questions...

John

5 Year Member
Kennedy98 said:
You guys don't have to stop :) im learning alot from this
i like this kid he's pretty bright somebody send him a tortoise

Kennedy98

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Quick question how old do leopard tortoises have to be to reach sexual maturity and able to breed?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It goes by size, not age. Leopards are pretty slow growers compared to some of the other types of tortoise. They're usually almost full grown before they reach sexual maturity.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Kennedy98 said:
Quick question how old do leopard tortoises have to be to reach sexual maturity and able to breed?

Thinking on breeding ?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yvonnes right. Most people say it's about 10 years old, this of course will vary. Somewhere between the 10+ inch range is when the females will be big enough to lay eggs.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Onarock told me I need to read this thread, and I'm glad I did, you guys left me laughing all afternoon.

I can't wait for the first annual maui tortoise symposium, imagine the fun we could have arguing this stuff in person. (hope you don't mind me dropping that one, Paul :) )

To the OP, I don't yet own any Leopards, but will be rectifying that in the near future myself. As you can see by the passion these guys have for Leopards, they're great torts if you have the space.

IMHO you could get a leopard of any flavor from any of the guys that have posted to this and get a great tort. Mick (ATC), Tyler (Tortoisesupply), Tom (though I believe he is selling none right now), Paul (Onarock) and Neal are all great guys and great tortoise keepers that I know do what is right by their charges. I say go ahead and play their competitiveness off each other. Lowest bidder please? LOL

In any case good luck and just remember the seriousness of what you're contemplating. You're looking at a friend for life.

vampire5003

5 Year Member
Kennedy98 said:
is leopard sulpply a good place to get tortoises?

It is, but I got mine from kingsnake breeders Robert/Trish from $110 and $35 for shipping. Robert/Trish and Tortoise Supply are good breeders!
They both make really good quality tortosies.
You probably already bought the tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.