Leopard Tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennedy98

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hey guys if you rememeber I was thinking about getting a Red footed tortoise but now I am leaning towards a Leopard tortoise! Are they nice toroises personality wise? and What do they eat? thanks!!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I have three going on four an love em they get a bigger then a redfoot so you need the room for it as far as food I feed mine spring mix dark greens cactus muzuri what do you have for room to house it?

Kennedy98

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I plan on getting a baby/juvinianal ( sorry for spelling) and right now I have a 6x3 foot tortoise table. I plan on building a bigger one for the tortoise when it gets bigger. Is this good for the type of tortoise I want to get now?

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
It would be fine for a couple of years, are you thinking of getting a P.P. or a P.B. Leo? the Paradalis Paradalis will get much bigger and cost about twice as much... but I am told they are hardier and more cold tolerant.... i have a Paradalis Babcocki and i have had him going on 3 years.... got him as a hatchling and he is now about 4 1/2" around 400 grams..

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I have a pardalis babcocki and she is prob about 5 or 6 years old and she is the size of a dinner plate and weighs 10 pounds. I love my Leo but I've only ever known mine so I don't have any idea what other ones are like.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I currently use coco coir. I may switch to cypress for the summer but am undecided.

Kennedy98

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I might get cypress mulch. one more question sorry to ask so many but should I start out with a baby or a juvunial or an adult? Is there a care diffrence between those?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The babcocks are often called pretty rocks. They don't tend to have a lot of interest in what there keepers are up too. There are exceptions. (Happy Neal and Paul?)

Generally the pardalis subspecies are much more personable.

I think both are great tortoises, but it will be hard to maintain the needed humidity in an open topped 3x6' tortoise table.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
It ismy understanding that there are major care differences between the 3. I will hand your question off to one of the many experts on this forum. Best of luck:)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tom said:
The babcocks are often called pretty rocks. They don't tend to have a lot of interest in what there keepers are up too. There are exceptions. (Happy Neal and Paul?)

Ha! Nope, I've seen plenty to say mine are not exceptions (though I'm sure you can say the same to counter my point). Who calls them "pretty rocks" besides you? ;)

Seriously though, I always say, personality is unique to the tortoise. If you're looking for personality, you better watch the tortoise before you purchase it cause you will find different personalities in all types of tortoises. Generalizations about personality are based on a persons opinion.

What are you looking for as far as what you would consider "personality"?

Kennedy98

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I would like a tortoise that will get used to his owner and not be afraid when I come around and also not bite lol :)

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Neal makes a good point. My babcocki is also not remotely comparable to a "pretty rock", just this morning I took her bottom ramp out to clean it and she found a way to get from her first level to the top of her enclosure without her bottom ramp!!! She is wild!!

Kennedy98

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I was thinking about tortoise supply.com? are they good? No place near me sells Leopard tortoises :/

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
"Happy Neal, Paul?"... dont know if that makes me happy, but I appreciate the effort ;). Maybe you could elaborate a little about the day to day behavior of your current group of g.p.b.:D

Tom said:
The babcocks are often called pretty rocks. They don't tend to have a lot of interest in what there keepers are up too.

Status
Not open for further replies.