Leopard Tortoise wont eat and always "kinda" sleeps

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Hi! Im a new member on here, but I have been reading the information and taking advice from you guys for about a year. However, now I have a question of my own. My leopard tortoise is 5 months old and barely eats and sleeps most of the time. And by sleep I mean its just stays in it's hiding spot with his head a little out and eyes open. I only got her a couple days ago so i feel she might still be adjusting and scared. But I just wanted to run my setup by you guys to make sure I was doing everything right and it wasn't something I did making her this way!

Setup:
Tortoise table with topsoil and sphagnum moss. The sphagnum moss is mostly on the side where the Mvb bulb is located and is always moist. I also have many wild flowers and lettuce growing in there.

Temps:
90-95 under basking spot
70-75 on the cool side
Never drops below 70 at night
The MVB bulb is on for 14 hours

Humidity:
typically between 50-68, i use a humidifier. There is also a humid hide box that is usually between 70-80.

soaking:
I soak her once a day in warm water for about 15 minutes, and after I try to feed her.

I'd be happy to hear if theres anything I should change!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

When you're caring for a young tortoise you need to keep the whole habitat at least 80F degrees. But your main problem is that the tortoise is in a new environment. He'll be better once he realizes he's safe. But babies do hide most of the time (because they're prey).

Try feeding the tortoise in front of his hide so he doesn't have to come out to eat.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Thank you! And ok, I will try increasing the whole habitats temperature. I also believe that's the reason she won't eat is because she's too scared. Her breathing is heavy, her head and legs bob too, so I'm hoping with time she'll get used to everything.
thanks again!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Agree with Yvonne. I would get the temps up a bit. Minimum night low 80F and basking 95-100F. Your humidity could be a bit higher too. If you can, I would at least partially cover or some how enclose the table to trap more of the heat and humidity.
What are you feeding? Do you know what the breeder was feeding? Try feeding the same thing and slowly mix in what you want him to eat. They don't like change.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi CleotheLeo welcome. Do you provide heat at night once your mvb is off? If not maybe add a CHE at night on a thermostat to keep the temps up, Hope your little tort soon settles.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
I'm not sure what the breeder was feeding her, but I feed her clover, dandelions and dandelion leaves, wild flowers, and other weeds. Yesterday I saw her eat half a dandelion flower, but that was it for the day. I'll try what you said above, thanks!

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Hi CleotheLeo welcome. Do you provide heat at night once your mvb is off? If not maybe add a CHE at night on a thermostat to keep the temps up, Hope your little tort soon settles.

No, i don't provide heat at night, and I was wondering the best way to do that. I will do what you said above. Is a CHE an overhead heating source or???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
ch150.jpg

Ceramic Heat Emitter

It screws into a regular light socket and provides heat without light.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It fits in a lamp and just gives out heat - no light as tortoises need complete darkness to sleep. If you use it with a thermostat it will keep the temp even at the temp you need.
Mine is similar to this
Hangs in a lamp holder
Have a look at Enclosures section to see how they are used

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Ok, this all sounds great, thank you for all your help! So one more time just to clarify, should i keep the overall habitat at 80 degrees both during the day and during the night. And also should the humidity remain the same at night as it does during the day (I will raise it like you all said) or should it be lowered?

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
The low temperature any time any where shouldn't drop below 80 degrees. You want about 80% humidity but not until you get your temperatures up. Too cool with high humidity is a recipe for respiratory issues.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Ok, sounds great. I will be sure to do all those things. Thank you!

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
My temps at night have NEVER dropped below 84 degrees. Its almost asking for a respiratory infection to be wet and below 80 degrees at night. That is also almost definitely why it isnt eating. They need to be very warm to digest food properly and if it 70 at night it cant properly thrive. Also the fact that you said "tortoise table" for a baby leopard scares me. They need to be in a closed chamber setup or at least mostly closed chamber setup while they grow or they will pyramid and dry out for to often. Read the care sheets @Tom provided in the leopard section of the forum. Definitely invest in a CHE and get rid of that tortoise table they are proven to be awful in raising hatchlings. Get a 50 gallon bin with high sides and cover the top with tin foil leaving space for the lights and CHE.

What kind of lighting are you using?

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Oh I just read that you have an MVB. The basking spot should primarily be 100-105, warm side should be 95ish and cool side should be 85ish for a healthy hungry leo.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Oh I just read that you have an MVB. The basking spot should primarily be 100-105, warm side should be 95ish and cool side should be 85ish for a healthy hungry leo.
Ok great, thanks. Do you know what humidity level I should keep her at. And is it the same for both day and night?

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Her humidity should definitely be at least above 50% but that is bare minimum. The optimal humidity to keep it at would be 80% day and night.