Lamp and bulb recommendations

Spikedatortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Orlando
Hi! I have a Russian tortoise who I’ve had for about 2 years now. I have gone threw about 3 lamps for her UV and Basking.
I’ve been using the Zoo Med duo lamp fixture. The first one I had blatantly broke so I got a new one. With the second one, I noticed the heating bulb kept going out and I didn’t trust it as I was leaving on vacation while my tortoise was hibernating. So I got my third.
With my third lamp, again, the heating bulb keeps going out. I’ve replaced it 3 times in the last 2 months. The UV light is perfectly fine.
Not sure if it’s the lamp at this point or the bulbs.
I am using Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp bulb at 100W.

I’d love any advice. Whether it be I need a new lamp (what do you recommend?) or a new bulb brand (what do you recommend?).

Anything helps, thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Most of everything I see in that photo is just incorrect equipment.
You need a linear FLORESCENT T5 UVB tube light and a basking bulb that is not an MVB.
Then a separate CHE for night time warmth.
I see you are in the Orlando area.
Do you ever drive south?
I'm probably three hours away from you going south and I have many spares. But with gas prices, etc. I'm not sure that'd be feasible

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Zeropilot.
Incandescent flood for basking.
Tube fluorescent
And the che.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! I have a Russian tortoise who I’ve had for about 2 years now. I have gone threw about 3 lamps for her UV and Basking.
I’ve been using the Zoo Med duo lamp fixture. The first one I had blatantly broke so I got a new one. With the second one, I noticed the heating bulb kept going out and I didn’t trust it as I was leaving on vacation while my tortoise was hibernating. So I got my third.
With my third lamp, again, the heating bulb keeps going out. I’ve replaced it 3 times in the last 2 months. The UV light is perfectly fine.
Not sure if it’s the lamp at this point or the bulbs.
I am using Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp bulb at 100W.

I’d love any advice. Whether it be I need a new lamp (what do you recommend?) or a new bulb brand (what do you recommend?).

Anything helps, thank you!
Here is a breakdown of the four heating and lighting essentials:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb. You need to check the temp with a thermometer directly under the bulb and get it to around 95-100F (36-37C).
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. In most cases you'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT, as long as your house stays above 60F (15-16C) at night. Some people in colder climates or with larger enclosures will need multiple CHEs or RHPs to spread out enough heat.
  3. Ambient light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in LED bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. In colder climates, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. I like the 12% HO bulbs from Arcadia. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html A good UV bulb only needs to run for 2-3 hours mid day. You need the basking bulb and the ambient lighting to be on at least 12 hours a day.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As for the domes you are using, I think they are too deep and narrow and the heat from the bulbs shorten their life. My opinion.
They are too expensive for how short lived they are. Buy from hardware stores or big box like home Depot or even stores that sell farm animal supply. They are wider domes, not as deep and cheaper and sold as individual instead of a double. Just be sure you get the ones that are ceramic socket.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
As for the domes you are using, I think they are too deep and narrow and the heat from the bulbs shorten their life. My opinion.
They are too expensive for how short lived they are. Buy from hardware stores or big box like home Depot or even stores that sell farm animal supply. They are wider domes, not as deep and cheaper and sold as individual instead of a double. Just be sure you get the ones that are ceramic socket.
Yes.
The key here is probably in NOT BUYING any items from a pet shop.
Better. Better suited and less expensive options for most uses are sold at the hardware store.