New lamp issue - Won't stay on?

Nephelle

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi all!

I am currently setting up my enclosure for a new arrival next week, and ran into an issue with my lamp right off the bat. This is new to me, so I thought I'd ask before starting to return/re-buy at random.

The bulb I have is:
Zoo Med PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor Lamp 100 Watts

The fixture is:
Zoo Med Mini Deep Dome Lamp Fixture with 5.5-Inch Dome, Black

And I have it hanging from:
Zoo Med Reptile Lamp Stand, Economy Size

The problem:

I screwed the bulb in, plugged it in and switched it on. The light came on for about 30 seconds, then went out. I unscrewed the bulb and tried again with the same result. I then let it sit unplugged for a good while and tried again. This time it stayed on, but is flickering. Could this be a vibration issue in the fixture? I am really not an electrics-type person outside of plugging things in LOL.

Any fix-it advice or other product suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
The bulb is most likely defective; I would return it. I would use the the ZooMed LARGE Dome Light Fixture. I think the mini is too small and could cause the PowerSun bulb to overheat. Also when buying the PowerSun bulb save your receipt and box as the bulb has a warranty of one year. ZooMed is fantastic about replacing a defective bulb. However, if you just bought it I would return it to the store.

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
Return counter here I come!

Also great to know about the warranty, I will tuck the box and receipt away...once I get it working haha!

Thanks, Carol :)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
The bulb is too big for the dome. I don't care what the sales person told you. At the last SDTTS meeting a company represntative from ZooMed told us that the number one problem with the Powersun is that people put them in too small a fixture, they heat up and by some safety mechanism shuts them down. Allegedly to turn on again when it gets cooled down enough. Also he said there is a warranty card in the box with the bulb, and they will honor it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. Wrong fixture. I use the 11" domes from Home Depot. They are big, vented and come with a heavy duty cord. I had a ZooMed Powersun last for four years in that fixture.

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
Yep. Wrong fixture. I use the 11" domes from Home Depot. They are big, vented and come with a heavy duty cord. I had a ZooMed Powersun last for four years in that fixture.
I like the Home Depot fixtures as well but I had to make sure they could take the wattage of the light bulb I got. They have a maximum wattage and I blew out a bulb after 2 months of use :/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like the Home Depot fixtures as well but I had to make sure they could take the wattage of the light bulb I got. They have a maximum wattage and I blew out a bulb after 2 months of use :/

The ones I mentioned are rated to 250watts.

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
It wasn't a salesperson, it was the internet! Damn the internet! :D

I am actually headed to Home Depot tomorrow to get the terra cotta saucer for water and a few other things, so I will pick up the suggested new fixture as well! I looked it over after reading this and I can see absolutely what you are saying about it overheating. So! In the future, I will ask here if in doubt before trusting the box!

As a follow up question since I have your ear (eyes) at the moment...

I am going to pick up a ceramic heater tomorrow as well. 2 questions...

#1 - Can I use this Mini Deep Dome Fixture for that instead, or should I return it and get a different kind?

#2 - In the Baby Russian Tortoise care sheet, it was mentioned the ceramic heater was plugged into a Hydro Farm thermostat. I decided to give up the heat pad I'd purchased after forum advice, but I already bought a Hydrofarm MTPRTC Digital Thermostat for Heat Mats. Is this the same thing and/or appropriate to use with the ceramic heater, or would I need to get a different kind?

THANK YOU!! I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all your help and patience with my questions. So grateful to have found such an amazing resource :<3:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another thing to consider...sometimes a MVB will turn on, then turn itself off. If you leave it alone for a bit, it turns back on and stays on. They are self ballasted and this sometimes makes them act screwy.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
The mini dome should not be used with the ceramic heat emitter as it is too small and the ceramic heat emitter gets very hot. You probably could use the same kind of light fixture that you are going to get for your Power Sun bulb at Home Depot. The HydroFarm thermostat will work perfectly; it is what I use and I really like it. If you need more light and heat in your enclosure you can use the mini dome with a 50 watt bulb to add more light and heat.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The mini dome should not be used with the ceramic heat emitter as it is too small and the ceramic heat emitter gets very hot. You probably could use the same kind of light fixture that you are going to get for your Power Sun bulb at Home Depot. The HydroFarm thermostat will work perfectly; it is what I use and I really like it. If you need more light and heat in your enclosure you can use the mini dome with a 50 watt bulb to add more light and heat.

Yes, the same ceramic socket dome you are picking up from Home Depot, get two. One for the mvb and one for the Che.

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
You all are amazing :<3:

Thank you for the advice, I will keep the mini dome just in case, it gets pretty darn cold in Pittsburgh and the extra light might come in handy. And that is great news about the thermostat, thank you for that.

Okay, so! One more 11" and this party will be almost ready to start :D I confirmed delivery of my teeny tiny for Tuesday, after all this build-up I think I'll be standing with my nose pressed against the glass when she arrives!

Thank you again :)

NolaBillie

New Orleans
I'm about to get the same bulb (100w power sun) and was going to use it in my zoomed 8.5" dome w/ ceramic socket. You guys are all suggesting a 10". Think the zoomed 8.5" will be ok? Thanks:)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Go to the hardware store or a ranch or feed store and get the 10 or 11 inch fixture from the chicken department. About $10.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443974754.854511.jpg
Just make sure it has a ceramic base.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm about to get the same bulb (100w power sun) and was going to use it in my zoomed 8.5" dome w/ ceramic socket. You guys are all suggesting a 10". Think the zoomed 8.5" will be ok? Thanks:)

I think it will be too small and your bulb will either keep kicking off due to its overheating safety features, or it will burn out prematurely.

The 11" domes from HD are the way to go here.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I think it will be too small and your bulb will either keep kicking off due to its overheating safety features, or it will burn out prematurely.

The 11" domes from HD are the way to go here.
Uh oh. I wound up on this thread because my Zilla 8.5-inch reflector dome has suddenly stopped working, and I'm using the same 100-Watt PowerSun UV bulb. I bought the dome in 2013 and have not had a problem with it until now. It just won't turn back on again, and I even tried a backup bulb I've been saving (same kind). I've had it turn off before where it needed to sit before it would turn back on again, as Yvonne mentioned. But why the sudden outage now? Do I already need a new lamp?