keeping the hide warm

bethxyz

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania, USA
Hello. I got my new hatchling a little over a week ago... I've read Tom's thread a couple hundred times and feel like I'm trying to follow everything to the letter. My question is how do I keep the humid hide warm enough. The enclosure, completely enclosed, and pretty warm (85 overnight, 95 in the day) there is a MVB and a ceramic heater. The hide is plastic bin turned upside down with a hole cut out, and plenty of moss and nice and humid. The top of it is covered with a layer of coconut fiber so the light doesn't go into the hide. But the temp in there is always a few degrees colder than the rest of the enclosure. It is wise to get an under tank heating mat? What temp should the hide be at? He never really goes in there, so I think it is too cold.

Thanks!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I place my hides directly under the CHE. It should be 80at minimum. Under tank heat mat is not a good idea with babies. They burn themselves on them.

bethxyz

Pennsylvania, USA
I place my hides directly under the CHE. It should be 80at minimum. Under tank heat mat is not a good idea with babies. They burn themselves on them.
the hid is around 87 in the day... but only 80 or 81 at night. Sometimes I stick him in there just so he knows that is his real estate also... but he wanders out and doesn't really go back in. Thanks for the note of the under tank heater ... we don't want a burnt baby!!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
the hid is around 87 in the day... but only 80 or 81 at night. Sometimes I stick him in there just so he knows that is his real estate also... but he wanders out and doesn't really go back in. Thanks for the note of the under tank heater ... we don't want a burnt baby!!
I place my tortoises in their humid hides each night after the lights are out n they are asleep. They usually stay put. Your temps should be ok. Most learn to use it. I have 1 adult leopard that I almost always have to put away.

bethxyz

Pennsylvania, USA
I place my tortoises in their humid hides each night after the lights are out n they are asleep. They usually stay put. Your temps should be ok. Most learn to use it. I have 1 adult leopard that I almost always have to put away.
thanks for the reply... we newbies are really lucky to have such a wonderful resource in you all! I'll stick the little critter in the hide tonight and see where s/he votes to go when the lights are out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As long as its, 80 or above you should be fine.

Many young tortoises seem to avoid any sort of hole in the ground. Presumably from an instinctive fear of predators that may lurk in those holes.

I put babies in their humid hides after dark every night. They usually lear to go in there on their own within a few weeks.