sleeping hide

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
my 2 year old leopard often would rather sleep in basically a basket i fill with sweet meadow hay instead of the shoe box humid hide.
many times I've placed her in the humid hide and she usually ends up back in the hay.

i made the basket more as another daytime napping area. i don't think sleeping and breathing in all the hay dust is good for her.

so should i take it out? maybe offer another dry hide but instead use coco fiber? and just keep it less humid? I'd like to offer her somewhere dry to sleep as well, just for options. any opinions?

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
I would take out the basket, put a half log from PetSmart in there (tortoise's tend to like those). And then once she starts using it, start spraying it to make it a humid hide :) That's what I do! :D And the half logs tend to hold humidity well ;)

stinax182

5 Year Member
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
I would take out the basket, put a half log from PetSmart in there (tortoise's tend to like those). And then once she starts using it, start spraying it to make it a humid hide :) That's what I do! :D And the half logs tend to hold humidity well ;)

i have a half log too! she sleeps in that sometimes. i think I'm just gonna take out the basket and replace it with a plant pot on it's side :)

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
stinax182 said:
i have a half log too! she sleeps in that sometimes. i think I'm just gonna take out the basket and replace it with a plant pot on it's side :)

There you go! :)

stinax182

5 Year Member
jtrux said:
How big is she/he?

she's roughly 5" long and weighs around 9 ounces. (i haven't weighed her in a month) she still fits in my palm. she was purchased as a hatching from a reptile show in April 2011. i received her from her original owner in August this year. she's highly domed and has pretty bad pyramiding already.

2cfbfyx.jpg

2vm95pv.jpg

15ek0f7.jpg

hvebf7.jpg

shane42096

5 Year Member
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
stinax182 said:
jtrux said:
How big is she/he?

she's roughly 5" long and weighs around 9 ounces. (i haven't weighed her in a month) she still fits in my palm. she was purchased as a hatching from a reptile show in April 2011. i received her from her original owner in August this year. she's highly domed and has pretty bad pyramiding already.

That is a gorgeous tort!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Omg..i think thats the most beautiful tort ive ever seen. Who cares about the pyramiding. Absolutely stunning...

stinax182 said:
jtrux said:
How big is she/he?

2cfbfyx.jpg

2vm95pv.jpg

15ek0f7.jpg

hvebf7.jpg

Is this a specific type of leo? I am mesmerized...

stinax182

5 Year Member
mainey34 said:
Omg..i think thats the most beautiful tort ive ever seen. Who cares about the pyramiding. Absolutely stunning...

Is this a specific type of leo? I am mesmerized...

i honestly have no idea. i received her from a forum member for free because he was in the army and needed to move and wouldn't have space for her. i believe three sex is female as well :) she dies have beautiful coloring :)

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I agree, nice looking tortoise.

Mine also prefers to sleep in hay, no matter where I put it. It will nestle down into it to where I only see the top of the shell. I now keep fresh timothy hay in a small area on the extra-humid end. Since these aren't burrowing tortoises, I imagine this is where they'd be sleeping most of the time in the wild. Hidden in tall grass.

Have you thought about putting some hay in the hide itself? I admit I never tried this when I had a humid hide (I was able to turn the entire end into something of a humid hide). I change the hay every couple days when it starts getting soggy. I've heard it can mold so I try to keep it fresh.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Tortus said:
I agree, nice looking tortoise.

Mine also prefers to sleep in hay, no matter where I put it. It will nestle down into it to where I only see the top of the shell. I now keep fresh timothy hay in a small area on the extra-humid end. Since these aren't burrowing tortoises, I imagine this is where they'd be sleeping most of the time in the wild. Hidden in tall grass.

Have you thought about putting some hay in the hide itself? I admit I never tried this when I had a humid hide (I was able to turn the entire end into something of a humid hide). I change the hay every couple days when it starts getting soggy. I've heard it can mold so I try to keep it fresh.

i haven't only because i keep it humid and didn't want it to mold. and i wanted to give her variety in where to sleep during the day (dry, humid, warm, cool) with her sleeping in her humid hide at night. she's 2 years old and has pyramiding already, but i still wanted to treat her like a hatching in some ways (i don't soak her everyday) i decided to take it out and ill put a small pile somewhere if she really wanted it

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
That's why I keep mine changed regularly. That way it doesn't have time to mold. It's just a handful in one corner. I bought a 5 pound bale of hay when I first got mine so I'm trying to use it up. When that's gone I'll probably just use New Zealand sphagnum moss which I've never had mold on me. Tort likes to sleep in that the same way as hay but it gets compacted after a few days as it absorbs moisture.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Tortus said:
That's why I keep mine changed regularly. That way it doesn't have time to mold. It's just a handful in one corner. I bought a 5 pound bale of hay when I first got mine so I'm trying to use it up. When that's gone I'll probably just use New Zealand sphagnum moss which I've never had mold on me. Tort likes to sleep in that the same way as hay but it gets compacted after a few days as it absorbs moisture.

yeah, i originally had peat moss with a layer of sphagnum moss in the humid hide but she didn't seem to like it at all...maybe I'll try it again. and if she insists on hay, i will just change it more often :) ANYTHING FOR THE BABIES, RIGHT GUYS?

Status
Not open for further replies.