Karl and his new beak!

Emmyx1x

After researching for some time we finally took the plunge to clip Karl's beak yesterday.
He was such a good boy.
Using a white pencil line and some delicate clipping and filing he now looks like a new tort.
He is tucking into his food well.
We thought we may have some sulking or stress reaction but he has been amazing.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Awesome! Great job on the positive association: getting clipped followed by food. Well done, indeed!!

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I bet Karl's happy with his new beak!! :D
You could use a stone to maintain it now, if he doesn't have one :)

Emmyx1x

Yes will upload some pictures shortly.
Karl was amazing we swaddled him carefully in a clean towel.
I used a white pencil to mark where the beak was overgrown to so I wasn't to extensive with the clipping nor having to put him through the experience gain should it not have been enough.
He truly was a diamond. I used some cuticle nippers to get the main overgrowth off and then an emery board afterwards to take away the roughness.
He has both a stone and a cuttlefish on his table.
I have purposely watched him munch and crunch since and he seems to have a better appetite than before if at all possible lol, greedy boy.
I think it is an all round positive result, no carrying him off to a reptile vetinary group, and no being handled by strangers, I think he must have known we were being kind as he was so well behaved. We were expecting lots of poppies and piddles and also major sulking and his did none of them.
Happy Karl = happy owners.
Love to all tort lovers xxx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hate to say it, after all your hard work, but in my opinion, the beak is still overgrown.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Karl's face and beak are deformed. It may not be possible to get to an ideal shape because of that. This is a huge improvement!

The top beak should not be level with the chin, so it's still long, but I'd suggest waiting before shortening it again.

Emmyx1x

Deformed, oh no, my chin is wobbling a a strange fluid is about to leak from my eyes.
Seriously? Utterly heartbroken.
As you know we rescued karl, he was our first, think he had lived off scraps and god only knows what.
Any advice for future please?