Beak Trimming....

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWest, USA
So my RT, Atu, is very very lazy, and when we give him food he drags it right off any rock, brick, plate, any hard surface, to then munch on soft dirt. if he leaves the leaf on the hard surface, he just bites the tops that are sticking up in the air. His beak isn't super long, but I've tried filing it with a nail file, and placed concrete blocks as feeding stations, to no avail. he has an appt next week to get it trimmed, but is there anything else i can do? (i will try to get a pic tonight during a soaking)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
My Tidgy usually needs a beak trim each spring, though i always put it off for weeks as it distresses her so much.
i use a little metal file and hold her so her head pokes downwards. She thinks she is falling so doesn't tuck in as much and by gently holding the base of her skull I can file a bit of the beak before she get's too annoyed.
Hope this helps.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
That's on my to do list too, I am worried I will break Lola's neck if I try it myself so off to the vets - when I can get an appointment with the herp vet. I'm dreading it because he is quite nervous (Lola not the vet) and is only just beginning to rest his head on my hand, but the tiniest movement and in he goes again. So I know it will distress him. Don't suppose there's such a thing as a padded head holder to stop the torts head disappearing in is there? Maybe I can make my fortune by inventing one!

Last edited:

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
With my Russian, I hold him with a good grip on the sides of his shell and tilt him forward head first. This causes him to stick his neck out and keep it out. I've heard people use a dremmel tool, but I use finger nail clippers and quickly clip. there's a video on YouTube.

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
I have tried getting his head to come out, by tipping him forward so he sticks his little neck out, but i can't manage to hold him one handed while trying to file with the other. i know my vet uses a dremel on him, and he seemed fine last year when they did it. i just wish i had a way to just keep him trimmed up at home without needing to make the hour-long trip up to the office.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't cut up his food, make him bite off pieces. Get some sort of clip, like for potato chip bags (to keep them closed) and clip his greens up off the ground.

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
@Yvonne G - we just give him entire leaves of his food (weeds from the yard, romaine/spring mix in winter when scarce) and feed on a large paver block from the yard. hasn't helped one bit. i swear he does this on purpose! I will try the clip thing though, and see if i can wedge it between his block and the wall, to hold it still while he tries to rip chunks off.

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
Whenever my Russian's beak gets a little too long I just use nail clippers. Just use the corner of the clippers and take off little pieces at a time until it's close to back where it should be. Once it's back to normal, just do as the others suggested and it should stay trimmed naturally for a good time.

Good luck!