Just curious....most pop Tort?

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
Not trying to step on Y's Birthday thread so I wrote this yesterday but waited till now to post........ but the numbers finally got to me...........the number of posts in each section.

If I extrapolate with only that information, the Sulc is the most popular turtle on this forum, though likely is representative of worldwide %'s too.

So, you guys that do this for a living.....what is the most popular tortoise or turtle for people to keep?

Remember, there is only YOUR life experience.....there are no wrong answers......

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Not trying to step on Y's Birthday thread so I wrote this yesterday but waited till now to post........ but the numbers finally got to me...........the number of posts in each section.

If I extrapolate with only that information, the Sulc is the most popular turtle on this forum, though likely is representative of worldwide %'s too.

So, you guys that do this for a living.....what is the most popular tortoise or turtle for people to keep?

Remember, there is only YOUR life experience.....there are no wrong answers......
I'd say sulcata, russian torts, and red eared sliders.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I don’t think you can correlate/conflate the two . Number of posts vs tort popularity. Lots of posts & questions (who what when where why size cost ease of care etc) could easily be posted about the very very rare infamous Kookaburra Tortoise, but few actually have seen let alone own this very rare Tortoise, but are interested.

Happy Friday everyone. I’m out to dig some gum drops for my Kookaburra Tortoise. 😀

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it all boils down to availability. Sulcata females nest three or so times a year and they have many, many, sometimes over 50 eggs in a clutch. RES and sulcatas are the most readily available, hence one would think they are the most popular.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I asked Google.....It is estimated that over 350,000 households keep different tortoise species in the U.S.
There is a top 10 list but top 3 are......
3.Sulcata
2. Russian
1. Greek

Source for those interested

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
What about the little Hermann's? I'm feeling left out for them.😊 and I don't even have one. I just happened to get a Russian instead 😉

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I don’t think you can correlate/conflate the two . Number of posts vs tort popularity. Lots of posts & questions (who what when where why size cost ease of care etc) could easily be posted about the very very rare infamous Kookaburra Tortoise, but few actually have seen let alone own this very rare Tortoise, but are interested.

Happy Friday everyone. I’m out to dig some gum drops for my Kookaburra Tortoise. 😀
I am definitely interested in the Kookaburra Tortoise. My friend in Australia actually was blessed with a rare and fleeting sighting of one of these incredible creatures! Unfortunately she was unable to get a picture before it vanished into the billabong as they are known to do. Anyway we are supposed to be talking about commonly kept species, so yes, those first three mentioned are it.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
What about the little Hermann's? I'm feeling left out for them.😊 and I don't even have one. I just happened to get a Russian instead 😉

Because of their range and 'manageable' size, Testudo are probably up there worldwide. There are many countries where turtle/tortoise is synonymous with the Mediterranean tortoise species.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I agree, I've kept Russian's and many other kinds of tortoises. I received a young adult pair of eastern hermanns on a payback. I have fallen in love with them. I live in the middle Atlantic area on the east coast where eastern box are common. Besides the way they look and diet they are the closest thing to an eastern box turtle you could find. As soon as the weather started to cool down in the fall my russians would start digging in for winter. The Hermann's don't dig in so quick they use their heated crocks to warm up and stay active much longer. But my favorite are my sulcatas who live outside all year long even though we have very cold winter temperatures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

The most popular tortoise at my ranch is the Burmese star! G. platynota.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Sarah cheated<LOL>but this was interesting. First, "my estimate" was Sulc and Russian as top 2 but it's based on my very limited grasp of the turtle world. I had not considered several factors mentioned either. This is a learning experience for me.

As popular can mean several different things.........

I've been schooled by some of my friends, I'm good with that!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
In south Florida it is overwhelmingly REDFOOT simply because the climate is nearly Ideal most of the time.
Is it cheating?
Probably
I don't think that's cheating at all. I think that's a good part of the research to consider when deciding what type of tortoise you will aquire. I'd love to have a Galapagos but I'm small. My climate is all wrong. He'd have to live in a very small house with me. I like having walls 😁🤗

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I don't think that's cheating at all. I think that's a good part of the research to consider when deciding what type of tortoise you will aquire. I'd love to have a Galapagos but I'm small. My climate is all wrong. He'd have to live in a very small house with me. I like having walls 😁🤗

That's too funny.....nearly spit my morning coffee on the screen! Clemson used to move furniture w/o trying and he wasn't nearly as large as Maggies Ms. Dobbins.

Turtles KNOW their own weight and use it often.........

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That's too funny.....nearly spit my morning coffee on the screen! Clemson used to move furniture w/o trying and he wasn't nearly as large as Maggies Ms. Dobbins.

Turtles KNOW their own weight and use it often.........
Sapphire uses his little light weight self to be a monkey 🐒 turdess but will scoot it around first to do that 😁

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Sapphire uses his little light weight self to be a monkey 🐒 turdess but will scoot it around first to do that 😁
Hahahaha.. he doesn't even care if I watch to try and figure the little gizmo out. I just sit back and watch and learn 😊 hehehe