IVORY SULCATA THREAD: Aladar's Babies! (ULTRA PHOTO HEAVY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vet

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma City, OK (USA)
Oh wow... adorable!!! My hatchling I got today is 3 weeks old and looks very similar (not the gorgeous Ivory of course). He even has the trident beak -- is that not a normal thing? Stunning babies you have!

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
I can't get enough of these updates! Your photos are priceless! Thank you!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Here's a shot of them in their tote...and yes! The substrate is fresh chop (changed out daily)! I'll keep them like this for the next couple of days then I'll move them to a BoaMaster Closed Chamber until I can get ahold of one of Tom's night boxes...their home until they're (at least) a year old...but I'm shooting for two! Once I make the change here...I'll post some shots of their entire nursery rig!DSC_0511.JPG

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Another Sunday! Or is it?!?! The ITs are a month old today...and are they out to celebrate. After munching on soaked Mazuri (with a generous helping of Tyler's Herbal Hay)...they decide it's time for a nap...note the bright green grass at the lower right is Tyler's African Grazer!
DSC_0519.JPG

IT-1 is taking a liking to cuttlebone quite early!
DSC_0524.JPG

...and drags it around a bit!
DSC_0527.JPG

IT-3 contemplates it a bit...but no interest...yet!
DSC_0531.JPG

And IT-1? Only interested in mischief!
DSC_0493.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Leaving a little prize:D From these pics, and the way they seem to really enjoy their food, your going to go broke feeding these little ones way before they get big. Love the pic with food on top of his head, how'd that happen:D They must be so fun to watch, probably in all directions at once too.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Dean, I am in love with Aladar and his babies... Is the trident beak unusual? Because it is one of my favorite features of Aladar, it adds to his dragon-like appeal.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Here's a quick glimpse into prep...the ingredients? Various grasses (rye, bluegrass, fescues, African graze mix), weeds (mallow, dandelion, black medic, white clover) and flowers/leaves (Hibiscus [tropical and hearty {Rose of Sharon}], roses and Mexican petunia)

I would love to see pictures of your garden!! I need to invest in a greenhouse or something, all of the plants I try to grow in my enclosures just cannot handle the heat/humidity... and I am most likely not growing the right. But I bet your garden is splendid!!

Vet

Oklahoma City, OK (USA)
I love all these updates! My baby (a month old on the 15th) just started eating off his cuttlebone today. He is loving nearly all the same foods your beauties are enjoying. They are way too cute and so spoiled!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Love my days off! Got the ITs out early so they can wander a bit before the sun gets ridiculous...we're looking at 107 today! Here, IT-2 tried to climb out of a divot...but decided to go to sleep instead!
DSC_0551.JPG DSC_0549.JPG DSC_0548.JPG IT-2 maintained this position for 5 minutes...then I intervened!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
It was about 90F when I took them out! I take them out in (2) one hour long stretches. I soak them twice a day...container half in the sun/half out! The graze a little...sleep a little...graze a little more...get a cactus bloom (everyday)...get their Mazuri at dusk...then they're tucked away for the night! In a 24 hour period...they're out of their brooder for two hours...that's it! And at least half of that time, they're shaded!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Are you planning to keep all 3...for the next 100 years? Lol.
Provided I live to be 151...why not! ;)

As promised...and in response to the many inquiries...this is the grand set up! I'm showing you now...because tomorrow, it ALL changes!
DSC_0556.JPG DSC_0557.JPG DSC_0558.JPG
It's that simple! A Sterilite tote...Reptile Basics Radiant Heat Panel (40W)...Zilla Thermostat (thanks Tom)...and fresh chop for substrate (and nutrition)!

Where were the ITs at this point? In the cactus bed...feeding on Mazuri (cut with Tyler's Herb Hay), pulverized cactus and the ONLY store bought item I ever feed...which is rare in itself...Ready Pac Santa Barbara Mix (endive, escarole, radicchio).
DSC_0554.JPG

And here are a few quick shots...not for cuteness nor artistic value and no flash or other lighting...but to show that I use no artificial lighting at this point...the only light coming in is from the outside...and that all changes when I shut the door! Plus, they have a baby-sitter! :p When I close up for the night their temps are around 90ºF and in the morning around 87ºF! Humidity hovers around 75%. It'll go as low as 55%...and rarely up to 95%...but 75% seems to be the status quo! Good night!
DSC_0561.JPG
DSC_0562.JPG
DSC_0563.JPG DSC_0564.JPG

Last edited:

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
The ITs are in the cactus garden again today! I was dying when I saw IT-1 working on a rooted pad...you can actually where she chewed a little away from a scab...
DSC_0578.JPG

And, as usual, they all love to fight over the blooms!
DSC_0577.JPG
DSC_0570.JPG
DSC_0565.JPG

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Midday...and the ITs are nestled away for a nap. First time I've left them out for more than an hour or so!

IT-1 decided to snuggle up to the fence...
DSC_0581.JPG

IT-2 just woke up as I snapped this one...nestled into the crook of a cactus
DSC_0585.JPG
then finds a cactus petal to attack...there's nothing delicate about this one...
DSC_0587.JPG
DSC_0589.JPG

IT-3 finds a mulberry sprig to her liking!
DSC_0580.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.