IVORY SULCATA THREAD: Aladar's Babies! (ULTRA PHOTO HEAVY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
As a lifelong fan of Dr. Seuss, I love these names! :p
And I'm currently betting that IT2 is male (he really is such a...GUY :p!!!) and the other 2 are female. Lol

RickysReptiles

I love their names, and I wouldn't ever change them. The super dooper trio of IT's are the best. I signed up to this forum just to follow this one thread. They're famous of course.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I love their names, and I wouldn't ever change them. The super dooper trio of IT's are the best. I signed up to this forum just to follow this one thread. They're famous of course.
Thank you so much!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
The ITs get their first shot at thicker cuts of alfalfa hay...mixed with their Mazuri, of course! Except for the buds...I did my best to cut the stalks down to 1/4 - 1/2" then rehydrated it before mixing in the Mazuri!

IT-1 took to it...with great zeal!
DSC_0032.JPG DSC_0041.JPG DSC_0044.JPG DSC_0046.JPG DSC_0047.JPG DSC_0048.JPG
...and developed his own mushface!
DSC_0054.JPG

IT-2 wanted nothing to do with this mess!
DSC_0050.JPG

IT-3 took part...but far more delicately than IT-1DSC_0039.JPG DSC_0049.JPG

...even to the point of maintaining a semi-mushface!
DSC_0055.JPG

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I'm gonna call today's offering...BEGGAR's BANQUET! Why? It's one of my favorite Stones albums! Two...I've been begging IT-2 to grow already! And third...when you have a backyard full of goodies...and you resort to chowing down on what the dogs leave behind...what else WOULD you call it?!?!?

IT-1
This has been a mainstay for him/her from the first month...probably accounts why we're also the LARGEST!
DSC_0075.JPG

I was astonished when I caught IT-2 nomming it up on this delicacy two days ago! But when I caught him again today...I had to get a picture! In addition, IT-2 has gone from 64 to 82 grams in the last week! I'm telling you...steroids for tortoises...but he still won't touch the Mazuri.
DSC_0070.JPG

IT-3 is also a confirmed 'bottom' feeder :D BTW...three different piles...nobody shares! :p
DSC_0074.JPG

ShannonH

Baton Rouge, La
I'm gonna call today's offering...BEGGAR's BANQUET! Why? It's one of my favorite Stones albums! Two...I've been begging IT-2 to grow already! And third...when you have a backyard full of goodies...and you resort to chowing down on what the dogs leave behind...what else WOULD you call it?!?!?

IT-1
This has been a mainstay for him/her from the first month...probably accounts why we're also the LARGEST!
View attachment 116045

I was astonished when I caught IT-2 nomming it up on this delicacy two days ago! But when I caught him again today...I had to get a picture! In addition, IT-2 has gone from 64 to 82 grams in the last week! I'm telling you...steroids for tortoises...but he still won't touch the Mazuri.
View attachment 116048

IT-3 is also a confirmed 'bottom' feeder :D BTW...three different piles...nobody shares! :p
View attachment 116047

ShannonH

Baton Rouge, La
I'm just curious since the Sully's are vegetarians why isn't the dog excrement removed before they play? Sorry it really just is not... to me. o_O

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I'm just curious since the Sully's are vegetarians why isn't the dog excrement removed before they play? Sorry it really just is not... to me. o_O

Actually, sulcata are proven omnivores! Granted. Ninety percent of their diet should be foliage of some kind or another! In the wild, they feed on feces...both predator and prey...they'll also feed on carrion and occasional live prey that may happen into their burrows! My dogs are NOT vaccinated...never have been...and their diet is so perfect that I like the fact that the tortoises are getting secondhand nutrients! Here's another thread of mine that you may enjoy!

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...ic-photos-not-for-the-weak.47984/#post-461068

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Dog poo also contains bacteria and parasites that won't hurt your dog but can be unhealthy for your tortoises. I definitely would not recommend this...
The fact you don't vaccinate your dog doesn't posititively influence his poo "quality" (but could be a risk for the dog). Don't know whether you deworm your dog, but if those medicines are in the poo it could be really dangerous!

But, the IT's are really cute, I'm following this thread!

RickysReptiles

I gotta ask. what is in the poo that is so nutritious? I'm not against the idea, because clearly they like it - just curious :) Thanks in advance for the lesson!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I gotta ask. what is in the poo that is so nutritious? I'm not against the idea, because clearly they like it - just curious :) Thanks in advance for the lesson!
Just an optional protein source! They do it in the wild...and they do it here! ;) Understand...it's not a regular thing! But they like it...and they know best!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Dog poo also contains bacteria and parasites that won't hurt your dog but can be unhealthy for your tortoises. I definitely would not recommend this...
The fact you don't vaccinate your dog doesn't posititively influence his poo "quality" (but could be a risk for the dog). Don't know whether you deworm your dog, but if those medicines are in the poo it could be really dangerous!

But, the IT's are really cute, I'm following this thread!
I have an extensive animal background that transcends the knowledge of most on this forum...so believe me when I tell you I know what I'm doing! ;) But thanks for your take on the situation and thanks for following!

Tatergirl09

Ventura, CA
I just got home with some new arrivals; three brand new Ivory phase sulcatas! So new, in fact, that one is still in its shell (mostly). They came from Bill Corwin...a helluva nice guy and knows his business! All of his ivory/het stock is from Fife breedings. He has Aladar's brother from the previous year! He also has a large het female that goes about 85 pounds. I'll go into more detail on the neonates' growth as time goes on...but for now, I'm gonna let you all focus on the 'awwwwwww' factor!

Bill's website...he's located in Moorpark, CA

http://www.reptileodyssey.com

Photos...
View attachment 79305 View attachment 79306 View attachment 79307 View attachment 79308

melting heart now..... so cute!

Status
Not open for further replies.