IVORY SULCATA THREAD: Aladar's Babies! (ULTRA PHOTO HEAVY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
The last week or so we've had full sun...but the daytime highs are in the 50s and the nighttime lows are in the 20s. The two best basking spots barely broke 80ºF...so the ITs are getting about two hours a day in the sun! After that, I move them into the spare bathroom to soak and swim! The bulb in the bathroom is a Powersun 180 and the temps are well over 85ºF. The humidity is right at 75%. The spare bathroom also makes for a nice little photo studio!

IT-1
DSC_0293.JPG

DSC_0318.JPG

IT-2
DSC_0290.JPG

DSC_0324.JPG
IT-3
DSC_0292.JPG

DSC_0321.JPG

TopNotchBoas

Central FL
Your photo updates have been very enjoyable, makes me excited to produce ivory sulcatas one day! Thanks for sharing!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
AAAAAAH! This has been sitting here for the past five days...well, better late than never!

The ITs are 8 months old today...quarter inserted for reference! They are not growing FAST but they're doing good!(b 5.8.2014)
DSC_0436.JPG

IT-1: 3.78" 229 grams
DSC_0365.JPG

IT-2: 2.57" 72 grams
DSC_0362.JPG

IT-3: 3.26" 131 grams
DSC_0367.JPG

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
IT1 is getting to be quite a little heifer!!! IT2 looks like a dwarf next to her!:p

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
why is the size difference so big?
I presume you're referring to the ivories? At this point...it's quite simple! The biggest one (IT-1) eats the most...especially protein-based items!:rolleyes::eek:
The smallest (IT-2) is such a bundle of energy that he metabolizes any nutrients right out!:tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort: And, the mid-size...who knows! He eats a lot...but more grass than IT-1...but he spends a lot of time just traversing his environment! ;)

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
I presume you're referring to the ivories? At this point...it's quite simple! The biggest one (IT-1) eats the most...especially protein-based items!:rolleyes::eek:
The smallest (IT-2) is such a bundle of energy that he metabolizes any nutrients right out!:tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort: And, the mid-size...who knows! He eats a lot...but more grass than IT-1...but he spends a lot of time just traversing his environment! ;)
one more question. why don't they have real names!!!??? here are some good names that you should give them, moose, cantaloupe, and stumpy.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't believe the size difference still. It will be interesting to see if it keeps running the same as they get older.
You take such great pics of them, truly catching their expressions. I'm so jealous of your picture taking, I'm going to really try and duplicate the expression qualities of my torts pictures this summer.
Btw, did you take classes or is this a profession or hobby of yours, or just a talent you have? Any tricks you can give me:)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
one more question. why don't they have real names!!!??? here are some good names that you should give them, moose, cantaloupe, and stumpy.
They have real names! ;) There is another member who named their Desert torts Thing One and Thing Two (after the Dr Seuss characters)! I liked that so much...I tried to duplicate that with my three! For whatever reason...IT hit me like a ton of bricks! "IT" is about as close as you can get to "THING"...plus IT serves as an acronym of sorts...I=Ivory T=Tortoise! I've learned that names need to come later...due to the animal's sex, nature, you get the idea...I hope!

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
They have real names! ;) There is another member who named their Desert torts Thing One and Thing Two (after the Dr Seuss characters)! I liked that so much...I tried to duplicate that with my three! For whatever reason...IT hit me like a ton of bricks! "IT" is about as close as you can get to "THING"...plus IT serves as an acronym of sorts...I=Ivory T=Tortoise! I've learned that names need to come later...due to the animal's sex, nature, you get the idea...I hope!
i still don't like there "names"!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I can't believe the size difference still. It will be interesting to see if it keeps running the same as they get older.
You take such great pics of them, truly catching their expressions. I'm so jealous of your picture taking, I'm going to really try and duplicate the expression qualities of my torts pictures this summer.
Btw, did you take classes or is this a profession or hobby of yours, or just a talent you have? Any tricks you can give me:)
My dad had a bunch of different medium format cameras back in the day...and I pretty much just did what I do since I was 7 or so! I NEVER owned any of those crappy cameras they made in the 70s and it killed me to move from medium format to 35mm...but when all is said and done...I'm glad that film is a thing of the past! My first digital was a Nikon Coolpix DSLR...it was nice and got the job done! But, it meant I NEVER had to take film in to be developed EVER again! I'm on my second DSLR (NIKON D40X) and I've about worn it out but good! But, the next camera I'm getting is gonna set me back about 7 grand...not counting telephoto lenses...so I'm gonna have to use this thing until it's apertureal death! Long story short...I'm self taught! One of the things I'm gonna put out soon in the MEDIA room...is an album of all my sh*tty pictures...just so folks know how many BAD ones it takes to get that GREAT one! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.