is this big enough for the next couple years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix Arizona
I just extended Duma and shorty's outdoor pen from 2.5'x3' to 3'x9':cool:. I was wondering if this would be considered enough room for them until they are big enough to have run of the back yard? or should i be planning to make room for something larger in the future? Shorty is a yearling and is 266g and Duma is just under a year and is 109g. I almost feel bad for them come winter time. next i am going to have to find a way to make their indoor enclosure bigger!:tort:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Opinions will vary, but I think that is enough room for a while. Still, I always end up making it bigger. I can't seem to stop my mind from figuring out ways to expand and make things better.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
Tom said:
Opinions will vary, but I think that is enough room for a while. Still, I always end up making it bigger. I can't seem to stop my mind from figuring out ways to expand and make things better.

hahaha thanks Tom! I always Value your opinion. in about a year or two we might replace the cinder block with brick to match the planters... it might end up getting bigger at that time :p I pulled some of the cinder blocks slightly out of line and placed flagstone over the nooks it created to add even more room just now... its only midnight and i am making improvements to tortoisetopia! its a good thing i stopped myself at only 2 tortoise!!:rolleyes: Ill post progress pics in the morning. I probably should have made two covers rather then one gigantic one.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
Ok... Here is the before:
0e647ca8.jpg

And here is the incomplete after:
f5bd9603.jpg

I still need to add another sprinkler, the new big hide, organic soil, and some planting. Might add a support bar in the middle... But not sure I want to break up their sky. The look tiny in it!

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
wellington said:
Doesn't look like it to me, but it would be a great idea, good one:D

Yeah I've done that before. Just hook up a water hose adapter to the end of the PVC, drill very small holes a couple of feet apart, and it works pretty good. You just need to have really good water pressure to pull it off.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
That's what I use on top of the enclosures is PCV with the sprinkler heads added. Here you also need to add a way to drain them, otherwise come winter the PCV pops under the pressure from the frozen water trapped in them.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
Hahaha there is no water hooked up to the PVC. That is my ghetto-fabulous bird net enclosure cover. Bird net is tied to the PVC frame. Got the idea from one of tom's threads. We had a lot of PVC already so there was no out pocket cost to make it.

The sprinkler is hooked up to the drip line... It comes up from the ground.

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
Melly-n-shorty said:
Hahaha there is no water hooked up to the PVC. That is my ghetto-fabulous bird net enclosure cover. Bird net is tied to the PVC frame. Got the idea from one of tom's threads. We had a lot of PVC already so there was no out pocket cost to make it.

The sprinkler is hooked up to the drip line... It comes up from the ground.

Lol! Yeah I ghetto rig stuff myself. But hey... That's a good idea on the net.

Jacqui said:
That's what I use on top of the enclosures is PCV with the sprinkler heads added. Here you also need to add a way to drain them, otherwise come winter the PCV pops under the pressure from the frozen water trapped in them.

Yeah it's the same way here. One good freeze and the PVC breaks.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I think you have a couple lucky tortoises, that looks very well sized for them for at least a couple years. Especially after you add the additional hides and such.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
Redstrike said:
I think you have a couple lucky tortoises, that looks very well sized for them for at least a couple years. Especially after you add the additional hides and such.

Thank you! I hope they enjoy it and get good and strong. Here is a picture of the progress :) I changed the little green hide into a bigger hide and the two prices of flagstone are actually hides too... 4 hides total.

aa21b18c.jpg

Inside the flagstone hide... The pic is kinda dark but there are lawn trimmings in them (changed every Saturday) to dig into.
76363528.jpg

Don't know if you can make it out but i was trying to get a picture of the sprinklers running.
02cfe596.jpg

This what they look like
648f75a7.jpg

Duma enjoys them
0ba40269.jpg

The water bowl being filled by the drip line. I am going to make it bigger as soon as Duma is a little bigger.
1be3d601.jpg

This hide has a drip line in it to keep it moist inside.
a98776ad.jpg

It's not fancy but I think it has everything they will need. There used to be lots of grass but it died when a squirrel chewed the sprinkler wires. I planted some grass seed and some of the old grass coming back. Have tortoise seed on its way also. We are going to plant some plants in the holes in the cinder blocks too :)

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
Laurie said:
Looking good! They're going to love the extra space :)

Thank you very much :) Still have lots I want to do to it... Like make a buried hide. It will look lots better when the plants grow back :)

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Melissa that looks awesome! Fabulous job and they will thrive so well:)

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
TortieLuver said:
Melissa that looks awesome! Fabulous job and they will thrive so well:)

I hope so! I look forward to turning them loose in the back yard some day... Duma is loving it! She loves the sprinklers. I am so happy you are on the forum so I can share Dumas progress with you! We just love her!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Looks wonderful!! They are so lucky to have such a nice space!

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
Ok so I have been working on the enclosure... Added sight barriers, started planting more grass seed and trying a little bird seed. I ordered grazing tortoise seed. My husband surprised me with flowers for the cinderblock holes... It was so sweet I had to plant them... But please let me know if any of them need to mysteriously die for the safety of the tortoise :p

7e662e27.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.