Is keeping two leopards ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix Arizona
So I keep seeing threads where people are saying 1 or 3 but not 2... My plan for Duma and Shorty is this:
if they are same sex;stick with two. if they are opposite sex then I will either adopt a second female or separate them... If they do end up being same sex do you think they will be ok? I read that Leos are Less territorial and less likely to fight. Is this true? I weigh Duma every 2 days to make sure she is gaining weight. So far so good.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Leopards are usually less territorial than others. I have 2 right now and when they grow up I plan on putting them outside in a nice big enclosure, I am of course hoping for girls.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
dmmj said:
Leopards are usually less territorial than others. I have 2 right now and when they grow up I plan on putting hem outside in a nice big enclosure, I am of course hoping for girls.

Me too!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Opinions vary on this. I have seen pairs of tortoises have problems far more often than not. Leopards and redfoots are less likely to have problems than Russians or sulcatas, but I would still not call it a good idea to just have two living together. I avoid this situation whenever possible.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Any two tortoises like any two humans may get along together forever, or may get along sometimes, or may start out getting along and then have it turn into total dislike, or they may never get along. It's a gamble you take any time you have more then one animal in with another one. Some things seem to help even the field like large enclosures with lots of hides and sight barriers and being equal in size. The best advise in my mind is to try it and always have a plan in place of what you will do if compatibility turns to warfare.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Melissa~Are you trying to find an excuse to get a 3rd :):) that would be me:) aside from joking I agree with everyone above. Leopards are so different than Sulcatas in that regard and do much better. I think your plan is great:)

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
TortieLuver said:
Melissa~Are you trying to find an excuse to get a 3rd :):) that would be me:) aside from joking I agree with everyone above. Leopards are so different than Sulcatas in that regard and do much better. I think your plan is great:)

Lol I do have to admit... I wouldn't mind one bit having three!!! I am going to wait till these two are big enough to sex. If they are both boys would I add a third boy or separate? If one of each sex I will add a second girl (this is the reason I plan to wait) guess I will have to wait to see how things unfold.

The enclosure they are in now has 4 hides and will hopefully have more plants next weekend. Our house has a add on so the back yard is broken up into three sections.

Well, wish me luck I will keep you all posted on how they do. So far they mostly ignore each other except when Shorty goes and lays next to Duma.

I do have the ability to separate them at any time if needed:)

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Babcockis are not aggressive at all in my experience. Two males, two females, or a pair should be perfectly fine together as long as their enclosure isnt small. But why stop at 2 if you can get more? :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I agree I have got the leopard bug myself (I love those guys), I have got 2 and I would not mind adding more if the chance comes up.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Babcockis are not aggressive at all in my experience. Two males, two females, or a pair should be perfectly fine together as long as their enclosure isnt small. But why stop at 2 if you can get more? :D
4 IS the new three!! :)

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
Eweezyfosheezy said:

Lmao don't encourage me! Is there a 12 step program for tortoise addiction?

Vishnu2 said:

Oh geeze! My husband would kill me! He is the one who has to build tortoise houses and ramps!

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Melly-n-shorty said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

Vishnu2 said:

Oh geeze! My husband would kill me! He is the one who has to build tortoise houses and ramps!

If there isnt then there should be. Send your husband over here when hes done because I always need stuff done over here. ;)

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
Eweezyfosheezy said:
If there isnt then there should be. Send your husband over here when hes done because I always need stuff done over here. ;)

Ha ha ha! He is making big heated houses for when they are bigger and ramps because you have to step down into our two patios. I want make sure they can get in and out of the patios. He is going to be doing all this along with redoing our landscaping. Duma and shorty will each have there own house. I'll let him know if his business fails he might have a job in tortoise landscaping. Lol!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Melly-n-shorty said:

No, thank goodness there is not. :D

Of course I could start one. The first step would be for the addicted person to hand over all their tortoises to me. :D

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
Jacqui said:
No, thank goodness there is not. :D

Of course I could start one. The first step would be for the addicted person to hand over all their tortoises to me. :D

LMBO over my dead body... Literally! Should I add you to my will? Lol!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The answer to your first question is, it depends. Adult male leopards can be every bit as aggressive and territorial towards each other as sulcatas can. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll have a solid answer until your tortoises are sexually mature.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
Neal said:
The answer to your first question is, it depends. Adult male leopards can be every bit as aggressive and territorial towards each other as sulcatas can. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll have a solid answer until your tortoises are sexually mature.

Looks like I am playing the waiting game :)
Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and opinions... It helps a lot. Now I can make sure I am ready for the future!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Best thing to do is get a few of them. Then you can sort them out when they're all adults. :) (Or course, what will actually happen is that you would keep all of them and add more and more to your heard over the years)

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
Neal said:
Best thing to do is get a few of them. Then you can sort them out when they're all adults. :) (Or course, what will actually happen is that you would keep all of them and add more and more to your heard over the years)

Yep because I know I wouldn't be able to give any of them up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.