Keeping torts together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
If one gets 2 torts, same sex, can they be kept together?
And if so up till what age?
Do torts fight?
Do Leopards hibernate?

CJ

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
First of all, they would have to be the same species of tortoise. Then, there has to be a quarantine period of at least 3 months. Some species the males just seem to hate each other and can never be kept together. Sometimes that works for the females too, but on the whole, females will get along without too much fighting. I have seen babies raised together to adulthood and getting along just fine together, and then I have seen babies getting along ok until sexual maturity, then all hell breaks loose. There isn't a simple answer to the question. You just have to quarantine, then give it a try. (And it helps if they're outside in a large pen)

You'll get two conflicting answers on the leopard question. In my opinion, some do, some don't. It isn't a true hibernation, more of a brumation. I have a leopard tortoise right now in her heated shed who hasn't moved for over a month. She's alive, she just thinks she's hibernating. The lady I got her from says she does this every winter.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Blessed3x said:
If one gets 2 torts, same sex, can they be kept together?
And if so up till what age?
Do torts fight?
Do Leopards hibernate?

CJ

Ooh! ooh! I can answer this one!

Yes, sometimes.
Varies.
Yes!
No!

I raised my two hatchling sulcatas together for almost ten years. I thought it was a male and female for about the first five years, but they turned out to be two males. One day they started fighting, and that was that. Nothing could make them stop and they had to be separated. As a side note, they, and my 10 year old female, have been hanging out and sleeping together in a little room for the last few days since their pen flooded. No fighting yet.

About the leopards; I saw the pardalis sub-species all the way down in the very tip of Cape Town South Africa. The ones down there tolerate near freezing temps, but do not hibernate. They eat less and get pretty lethargic, but they stay above ground and wait for warm days. There were lots of them doing this in many different areas down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.