Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amandapanda130

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Easley, South Carolina
Hello all, My name is Amanda. I just bought a baby Sulcata tortoise. He arrived today. He seems healthy and happy. He's kinda sluggish, basking in the warmth of the lights.

I have only previously had 2 box turtles in the past. They escaped through a fence. My children and I(3of them, ages 10,8,and 5) have always wanted other turtles/tortoises, so I felt after extensive research that a Sulcata would do well. We have about an acre of land/yard fenced for him to graze on if needed when he gets bigger.

I am sooooo excited to have this lil guy. He's so cute!! My children love him too! I hope that by teaching them about how to take care of him he stays healthy and stays with our family for a long time.

I love this forum, it's very helpful so far. I hope to be posting pics soon of the setup I have for him. Take care all,

Amanda

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Amanda:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know appx. where you are?

Amandapanda130

5 Year Member
Easley, South Carolina
Thanks! I have a quick question. As for bedding, I bought coconut bark. Should I soak that somehow to hold humidity and maybe make it easier for the little guy to walk around?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Amandapanda130 said:
Thanks! I have a quick question. As for bedding, I bought coconut bark. Should I soak that somehow to hold humidity and maybe make it easier for the little guy to walk around?

Yes, soak it in warm water, then pat it down a little. That's what I had to do for my leopard. BTY WELCOME. Have you read the threads listed at the bottom of my
post? Great info for raising your baby:D

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Amanda:

You've done a nice job on the outdoor enclosure...but the walls aren't high enough. If he stands on his back legs, he can reach the top with his front legs. Just a mere scramble or two, and he's up and out. On the waterer, just dig it down into the dirt more so the top is even with the soil.

Status
Not open for further replies.