Introduction

Bowser2016

Hello, my name is Jared and I live in Northern Utah, USA. My wife and I recently got a Russian tortoise from PetSmart. He is about 5" long. We have him in a 20 gallon terrarium with bark type substrate, as the pet store guy told us to get, and a half log hide-a-way. We've added some rocks and a shallow water dish. We got the combo light set with basking and UVB light. This forum has held LOTS of answers for us as we've begun to make his life better. Thank you all VERY much!

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Congrats on your new tortoise!

Now be prepared to have it take over your life! :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. A 20 gallon is way too small for an adult Russian. A 4x8 feet is a minimum. It is most likely wild caught and older then 5. It needs a low sided water dish he can fit in. Do not use the coil type UVB bulbs, they can cause eye damage. The basking spot needs to be between 90-100 to properly digest. Also a humidity of 50% with temps 75-80. Can be little lower at night but in an area that as lower humidity.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Jered!

If you bought that aquarium at the pet store, see if they'll take it back. It's way too small for a Russian tortoise. You can buy two plastic bins, cut out opposing ends and put them together, have a bigger enclosure for a way cheaper price.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Hello, welcome to the forum. There are many people that can answer all questions and give up to date advice.