introduce???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeanddeb

5 Year Member
I have a 4 year old male Tort, and Im getting a 3 year old female tort in the next few days. What is the best way to introduce them??? Should I let them live together from the start or should I wait? The male has been living in his cage since birth and he is very very liad back.

Thanks in advance

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
You should have a quarantine period for the new female for at least 3 months. If she has parasites, or illness she can pass them to your male tortoise easily if they are housed together. Therefore, she will need her own habitat while you monitor her health. After the quarantine period has passed, and you know she is healthy (a vet check is always recommended) then you should introduce them and see how they behave. If they fight, I would not advise housing them together.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes...like what Meg said. Plus, if you make your quarantine pen more permanent, like your existing pen, then if you find you have to keep them apart, you already have the other habitat all set up and ready. Male Russian tortoises are VERY AGGRESSIVE breeders and sometime just pester the female ALL THE TIME, even causing injury to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.