Adding a third tortoise, how?

Rural

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denmark
Hi, I have two russian tortoises, a male and a female. I usually seperate them for a while when the male seems to get agressive, but I've read adding a third tortoise (female) would make the situation better. I'm highly considering seperating them permenantly or buying a third.

If I bought a third tortoise, how would I go about adding the third tortoise? I mean, would I just put it in with the others just like that or would I have to introduce each tortoise to eachother before letting all of them live together?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I would highly recommend deprecating them permanently. Happy that you are willing to do this. They prefer a solitary existence.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
you should separate them russian's will hurt eachother if kept together and any new animal needs to be Quarantined for 6 months to a year to make sure they don't have something that will kill your other torts

just a warning i've seen 2 Russian's kept together 1 ate the other's foot down to a nub. just saying

if you really are determined to get another then you need to build 3 separate indoor enclosures and one MASSIVE outdoor enclosure.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
First question should really be, do you have the room for a third tortoise? If yes, then the next question is are you ready to be able to keep them all separate if they do not get along? (remember you will need to have a separate enclosure while the new animal is going through isolation) Do you want to breed?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I do want to make it clear, I am not trying to tell you NOT to get another tortoise. I am just telling you these are the things you need to really think about first.

If you get a third one, after it's quarantine period, place it first in the new enclosure. Make sure that enclosure is large, has lots of sight barriers, and places to hide. Also make sure you will be able to observe them a lot for the first few days (that observing needs to be continued too, just not at quite the same high level). It is normally better to do it when the male is in one of his less aggressive times. Make sure the new female is as large as the other female (and of course, larger then the male). Be prepared to separate them at a moments notice if aggression becomes too much.

Rural

5 Year Member
Denmark
I would highly recommend deprecating them permanently. Happy that you are willing to do this. They prefer a solitary existence.

If that's what's best, I'm gonna get the things needed for another enclosure as soon as possible.

you should separate them russian's will hurt eachother if kept together and any new animal needs to be Quarantined for 6 months to a year to make sure they don't have something that will kill your other torts

just a warning i've seen 2 Russian's kept together 1 ate the other's foot down to a nub. just saying

if you really are determined to get another then you need to build 3 separate indoor enclosures and one MASSIVE outdoor enclosure.

I never thought much of them living together since everything seems to be all good, but I sure as hell don't want them to eat eachothers feet. Like I said ^up there^, I'm going to get new enclosures, so they can live seperately.

First question should really be, do you have the room for a third tortoise? If yes, then the next question is are you ready to be able to keep them all separate if they do not get along? (remember you will need to have a separate enclosure while the new animal is going through isolation) Do you want to breed?

I do have room for the expansion it would take, and housing each one seperately is possible as well. Breeding is fine with me, I've been fortunate enough to get eggs before, but they sadly didn't hatch, and I kept them in a incubator at proper temps. I only wanted the third tortoise to use it as a solution, but if seperating the two I have is a better idea, that's what I'm going to do. Asap.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
If that's what's best, I'm gonna get the things needed for another enclosure as soon as possible.

I never thought much of them living together since everything seems to be all good, but I sure as hell don't want them to eat eachothers feet. Like I said ^up there^, I'm going to get new enclosures, so they can live seperately.

I do have room for the expansion it would take, and housing each one seperately is possible as well. Breeding is fine with me, I've been fortunate enough to get eggs before, but they sadly didn't hatch, and I kept them in a incubator at proper temps. I only wanted the third tortoise to use it as a solution, but if seperating the two I have is a better idea, that's what I'm going to do. Asap.

it's always good to see someone doing whats best for the animal instead of what they want, if you truly want another and could house separately i'd go for i'd just get another female because 1 female with a male could be harassed or over bred

Rural

5 Year Member
Denmark
it's always good to see someone doing whats best for the animal instead of what they want, if you truly want another and could house separately i'd go for i'd just get another female because 1 female with a male could be harassed or over bred

Every pet owner should do what's best for their pets, the pets didn't ask for being stuck in a cage for their entire life. Now that we removed them from their habitat for our own pleasure, the least we can do, is do what's best for them under the circumstances of being kept as a pet.

I'm going to stick to having two russians. I really only want one specimen of each of the species I'm interested in, and a male and a female of the endangered ones, so I can get some captive bred tortoises out there, to prevent them from being caught in the wild.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Which species are you interested in? Which endangered one (and I would suggest thinking two females to one male)

Rural

5 Year Member
Denmark
Which species are you interested in? Which endangered one (and I would suggest thinking two females to one male)

I'd love to get a sulcata, but that's impossible. The weather in Denmark is cold as hell, and I don't see how anyone can keep sulcatas properly in this country. I know people has them, but I'm pretty sure those sulcatas live indoors 8-10 months of the year, which as far as I know isn't proper keeping of them. I'd also love to have a redfoot, but it's too cold for them as well.

I'd like to breed the following endangered torts; angonok tortoises, burmese star tortoises and egyptian tortoises (testudo kleinmanni). I don't think any of those will become a reality since they're expensive. Very expensive.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Every pet owner should do what's best for their pets, the pets didn't ask for being stuck in a cage for their entire life. Now that we removed them from their habitat for our own pleasure, the least we can do, is do what's best for them under the circumstances of being kept as a pet.

I'm going to stick to having two russians. I really only want one specimen of each of the species I'm interested in, and a male and a female of the endangered ones, so I can get some captive bred tortoises out there, to prevent them from being caught in the wild.
I guess your question has already been answered so I don't feel bad going a little off topic, You definitely know what's up when it comes to keeping tortoises, choosing what's best for them, knowing you should because its not their choice to live with you. I think you made the right choice choosing to separate rather than add, much easier to come up with 2 large enclosures now than 3 large ones later. Its always fascinated me how tortoises like to be alone, because its so contrary to how humans are which I suppose is the same reason people think their tort needs a "friend"