Incubator at 93% RH

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
the humidity is fine.....although don't "soak" your eggs. Leaving them sitting on a "very wet" substrate can and will cause problems ....molds, fungus and just plain ol' egg rot.(besides space, one reason I DON'T use hovabators = poor O2 transfer, although in recent years I know on some models they added internal fans to them) You would be surprised at how many micro-organisms are living in there even though your using "sterile" vermiculite. I will also note here this is why I also mix it with pearlite - even though many times read here on the forum- I have seen other breeders frown on this within their set-ups for fear of the hatchlings eating the substrate. I find no cause for alarm on this subject as I check my eggs and due dates before the neo-nate has a chance to do this, simply by transferring to a different "nursery" set-up ( I use green moss) within the incubator itself when the egg starts hatching...why keeping good records ex: laid dates ect. Plus the fact ...the little one's wont eat for about a week or so anyhow upon hatching. The reason I mention this ....is the pearlite is a great "sterile filler" and allows O2 to filter within the substrate in your cooker. So I mix the two together, thus Vermiculite = good for retaining moisture and Pearlite= good for allowing Oxygen to "blend" within your hatching substrate.
Just my .2 cents ....and I have hatched a couple of RF eggs .....(add grin face here) <~~~~what happened to the smiley icon things?

Last edited:

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
My hovabator doesn't have a fan but I think I can add one. But that's good to know. Substrate isn't wet. The incubator itself is 90%+. I may try the perlite too. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another reason for not allowing the eggs to become too wet is that they absorb the moisture into the egg and sometimes this causes the shell to split.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Now my thermometer is going crazy. I took some water out of hovabator and the temp started going up to 93F. But when I put another thermometer in there it showed 84F. Frustrating! Everything has been setup for weeks and now my thermometer wants to play games. At least I have a backup.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I normally keep at least two thermometers in my incubator just to make sure the temperature is accurate. I like the digital ones that show temperature and humidity that has a probe.