New tortoise problems

Zahidandyoshi

Hi guys ,
I'm new to all of this and yesterday I bought my first 8 month old horsefield tortoise. I spent most of my night checking up on her ( I'm paranoid)
Her tortoise table consist of top soil and some straw.
I currently have a normal halogen lamp for her, however I have just ordered a UV/ heat bulb , which I'll replace as soon as it arrives. Will she cope these next few nights ? The house is usually warm, she has been eating the usual weeds and Has pooed but it's raining outside so I can't let her out.
I've sat her in a little tray of shallow like warm water , and she hates it, will she adapt ?
Sorrrryyy for being so panicky guys haha
Zahid

Donna/Turbo

Location (City and/or State)
Banner Elk, NC
Welcome and glad you found us. There will be several people here to give you the best advice possible. Read as much as you can and you wont believe how fast you catch on to the correct way of raising a tortoise. I have bought probably 8 different bulb before I got the temp and humidity correct. Just be patient and listen to all the good advice you will get. Good Luck.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). The straw is not a good substrate, take that out. The tort will be fine until the right bulb makes it but what are you using for night heat if needed? Check for a care sheet under your species thread in the beginning of this forum and most of your questions should be answered. If not, come back and ask away. Btw, most of us started out the same nerves wreck as you, so no problems there.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
It's always good to soak them. If they don't like it, too bad!! It will keep them hydrated and will get them to poop when they try to escape.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. Russians don't use water dishes much as a rule. It should still be available. I soak my Russians 3x per week. Put them in shallow water in a container they can't get out of. The water should be approximately 94F. They often don't like it, but it's good for them. Let him soak 15 to 20 minutes.
Read the care guide for all the info you need on enclosure, temps, substrate, and diet. Make sure you ask any questions you have.

Zahidandyoshi

Oh cheers for the reassurance guys , the gentleman I bought it off said he turned both UV and heat lights off at night. However his home heating was fine , he said that the Russian breed are clever as they find there own microclimate within the tortoise table

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Zahid, and welcome to the forum!

Because your tortoise is still basically a baby, I would keep the night time temperature up a little warmer than room temperature. Give him a substrate he can dig into and bury himself. They love to do this. But also get a substrate that you can moisten. Not too moist, just a little moist, like what you find when you dig down into the earth.

We have a couple of good care sheets for Russian tortoises pinned at the top of our Russian section here on the Forum.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello Zahid and is your tortoise therefore Yoshi?
Welcome to the forum, read, learn, ask questions and have fun!

Zahidandyoshi

I've got her cradled in my hands right now , as I'm watching something online , I think she loves my hands , I play rugby so my hands are quite big so she has lots of room and she has tucked her rear legs in and resting her head.
For a big guy , even I find this cute

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. When do we get pictures of your tortoise and her enclosure :) we love pictures around here. At this age your tortoise is going to need to stay warm. She probably loves your hands because they are nice and warm. I would use heat 24 hours a day and UVB light 12 hours a day. Check out the Russian species section for specific ideas. The enclosure section is also very handy.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) Sooooooooooooooooooooooo cute :)