Identify this

Status
Not open for further replies.

k@T

5 Year Member
Hi, two days ago I bought a new tortoise :D Here are some pics of it, I 'm asking if anybody could help and tell me about the species, I think it is Indian star. Any idea about the age could be helpful too.

2.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn, New York
k@T said:
Hi, two days ago I bought a new tortoise :D Here are some pics of it, I 'm asking if anybody could help and tell me about the species, I think it is Indian star. Any idea about the age could be helpful too.

Hi Zahra & Welcome to the forum!

Yes your new tortoise is an Indian Star. I would say that it is a very young Star, about 6 months old.

Please make sure to soak your little Star in warm water every day. He/she looks a little dehydrated.

How is her/his behavior? Is she eating? Is she active?

Other Star owners will chime in with information for you.

Good luck with your little Star, they are beautiful tortoises.

Claudia

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome. She does look a bit dehydrated. Definitely soak every day. Feed her some grasses. Hibiscus flower and leaves. Greens endive, dandelion, and small punts of fruit every other week or so, with some mazuri tort chow. Stars need it relatively humid especially little guys. Make sure to use a good substrate like coco coir and keep it moist on the bottom layer and spray her and the enclosure down as well. Stars are usually a shy species so you want to make sure tht she has lots of hiding spaces, and some plant foliage. Also keep her enclosure in te mid 80's with a basking spot. A mercury vapor bulb is best, she will get UVB from it and heat.

k@T

5 Year Member
it's name is Charlie, He/She is eating but not so active. Some times it makes sounds, I never saw charlie using the bowl of water. I star to bath her from today, sounds she enjoys it.

I use mixed of peat moss and coco peat for substrate.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Make sure to get some good hiding places. And UVB is a MUST also stars especially youngins need it constantly warm, minimum of 80 on the cool side. You can also plant a lot of plants or use fake ones fr additional hides and an added wow factor to its enclosure.

k@T

5 Year Member
I have a 8% UVB lamp, My vet told me to use the lamp only 2 hours in a day, is that enough or I must tern it on all day?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Oh man. Nope might need to look into another vet if that's what he told you. 12-13 hours. Same as sun up and sun down. On tube bulbs 10.0 is the best but they stop producing UVB rays after about 6 months. Te best is a mercury vapor bulb they provide heat as well. And the most perfect if natural sunlight. Which means being outside. Which entails a predator proof enclosure. And next to a window doesn't count either. The glass in windows obtain all UVB rays and all your tort is left with is heat an plain light.

k@T

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Oh man. Nope might need to look into another vet if that's what he told you. 12-13 hours. Same as sun up and sun down. On tube bulbs 10.0 is the best but they stop producing UVB rays after about 6 months. Te best is a mercury vapor bulb they provide heat as well. And the most perfect if natural sunlight. Which means being outside. Which entails a predator proof enclosure. And next to a window doesn't count either. The glass in windows obtain all UVB rays and all your tort is left with is heat an plain light.

tnx, I'm glad I can answer my questions here.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Hi Zahra,

I took another look at your photo and compared you star to my hatchlings and I believe that your star is younger than I first thought (3-4 months old). This is a very young star, and you have to start giving her/him warm soaks ASAP. Make sure her/his is having daily BM (poop) in the warm water. Add vitamins to every piece of food that you feed this baby, calcium and multi-vits. Make sure that the hatchling can easily reach its food, maybe you should use paper plates cut in half (these hatchlings can flip over easily, so be careful of any ridges that he/she can fall off of). With babies you have to expect the unexpected. If he/she flips on her back she could die, especially if it is near the heat lamp.

I will try to email you a culture sheet that I received from my breeder. If you follow a few steps on this sheet you hatchling will do very well. But, special care is needed for such a young little tortoise as soon as you can, ASAP.

His/her health may have been a bit compromised due to past handling.

Claudia

borgs-mum

5 Year Member
Cl moss is right - I lost a very young Indian star :( Everything needs to be perfect and hydration is really important. Good luck with him and make sure you're uv lamp is spot on.

dhru1999

5 Year Member
England
He is between 6 months to 1 year. And he is a boy because of the tail

k@T

5 Year Member
There is some new pics from Charlie, I give him every day bath, do you think he is going to be better?
Now He is more active from first, but he still doesn't eat to0 much, and I'm worried about it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If Charlie's eyes always look like they do in that picture, then he is very sick.

I would also worry about all the white chunks in the substrate. Pick them out and throw them away. He might eat them and get impacted.

k@T

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
If Charlie's eyes always look like they do in that picture, then he is very sick.

What kind of sick you mean?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Sick = seriously dehydrated. Might need antibiotics as well - needs to see a good reptile vet soon.

Soak for a good half hour 2-3 times daily until you can get help.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
After seeing this last photo, I would bring her/him to the vet ASAP! Your Star will die if you wait any longer. Also, I would have a word or two with the person that sold this hatchling to you.

wildak

5 Year Member
It looks like you may have used some potting soil mixed in the substrate, if so the white stuff is perlite which is basicly volcanic glass. There is a good chance the little guy ate some and the outcome will not be good as it will not digest and it may slice up their insides. An x-ray should show it.

Good luck.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Oh my gosh how horrible :( I wish you the best of luck with your little guy!!! pm me if youd like, keep me posted because that is a gorgeous little baby. :( I'm glad you're doing everything you can to give him the right home!!

Status
Not open for further replies.