Identify this

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildak

5 Year Member
After a little more reasearch on perlite ( if that is the white stuff) it may be more of an impaction issue rather than slicing up their insides as I said earlier.

Perlite soaks up a lot of water, I'm not sure if it actually expands and causes the blockage or acts like sand and just lays in their.

Either way it's far from healthy and a vet visit would be a must. They may be able to flush him out before it's too late.

arotester

5 Year Member
k@T said:
Hi, two days ago I bought a new tortoise :D Here are some pics of it, I 'm asking if anybody could help and tell me about the species, I think it is Indian star. Any idea about the age could be helpful too.

hi :),
star tort is at least 7-8 months old. it's cute
i own a pair of them of same size as yours...plz share with me any important info if you have about them :tort:
this is my male star sri lankan tort

k@T

5 Year Member
wildak said:
After a little more reasearch on perlite ( if that is the white stuff) it may be more of an impaction issue rather than slicing up their insides as I said earlier.

Perlite soaks up a lot of water, I'm not sure if it actually expands and causes the blockage or acts like sand and just lays in their.

Either way it's far from healthy and a vet visit would be a must. They may be able to flush him out before it's too late.

Yes, those are perlites.

Yesterday I bring my star to vet, She/He get some antibiotics. Vet told I should bring her/his 2-3 times more. I still give her/his every day bath but she/he stop eating from today.

wildak

5 Year Member
Did the vet do an x-ray ? It may show a blockage. They will stop eating for many reasons but with the perlite in there I would be betting that may have something to do with it.

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
emysemys said:
If Charlie's eyes always look like they do in that picture, then he is very sick.

I would also worry about all the white chunks in the substrate. Pick them out and throw them away. He might eat them and get impacted.

I have an Indian star who's eye are looking like thus too. He is 6 years old & has been on Baytril for 5 days now. I bath him everyday (carrot baths). Is there anything more I can do to help my poor baby??

Many thanks

wildak

5 Year Member
Be careful with Baytril injectable with Indian Stars as they tend to have a bad reaction from it and it can cause necrosis around the injection site. If it's ingested it seems to work fine.

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
wildak said:
Be careful with Baytril injectable with Indian Stars as they tend to have a bad reaction from it and it can cause necrosis around the injection site. If it's ingested it seems to work fine.

Yeah I administer this direct into his mouth. We are at the end of the course now and not alot of improvement (I will post pics later) so we are back at the vets on Friday hopefully we can sort his eye issue out!
When he had his meds last night he did try to spit it out. I panicked at first as all I seen was bubbles coming from his mouth. My original thought was he was having some sort of fit (like a seizure) but I soon came to my senses (over reaction I know)!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
what are you trying to feed? the one picture didnt look very appetizing..
do you have jars of babyfood there in the stores?

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Vicki78 said:
wildak said:

Yeah I administer this direct into his mouth. We are at the end of the course now and not alot of improvement (I will post pics later) so we are back at the vets on Friday hopefully we can sort his eye issue out!
When he had his meds last night he did try to spit it out. I panicked at first as all I seen was bubbles coming from his mouth. My original thought was he was having some sort of fit (like a seizure) but I soon came to my senses (over reaction I know)!

As I said here are pics of Sheldond eyes:

The first one is from last Wednesday 16.05.12027.JPG
The second one is from this morning (as you can see not much difference060.JPG
Fianlly the last one of him spitting out his meds last night054.JPG:(:(:(

Forgot to mention he pushed his meds through his nose tonight!:(

Last edited by a moderator:

BigFire

5 Year Member
Seems like he needs some natural light. Also is he eating? If so, what? Warm, daily soaks are essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.