Ideas for simple indoor and outdoor enclosures?

(r.t)

Location (City and/or State)
Spain
Pleas can anyone give me simple ideas to make a simple indoor or outdoor enclosure? If possible can it be simple and having in mind I haven't got much space.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
i've always just used plywood. cut it to the size i want then frame out the sides and bottom then connect it. i use clear plastic to cover the plywood to keep from molding and hold humidity better

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Remind us what type of tortoise and how big is it? Then what kind of a budget did you have in mind? Can you use a hammer, saw, or screwdriver?

(r.t)

Spain
My tort is a female (going to be 6 in winter) she is 14cm, I am thinking to decorate and make her terrarium more homelike and not so boring (55x25cm). And she also has a outdoor place.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
For indoor, you can use an old dresser or bookcase. I had an old dresser in the garage that I laid on it's back. I added wheels and took out the drawers and ribs. I then lined it with a tarp cut to fit.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your indoor enclosure is WAYYYYY to small. That's a 10 gallon tank. 10 times that size is still too small. Russians need much more room than that. I recommend 122x244cm as a MINIMUM for one of that size and age indoors. They should have even more room outdoors.

Here is one idea for outdoors:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...table-but-safe-outdoor-baby-enclosures.30683/

For indoors, you can just add sides to a sheet of plywood. Hang a light over one end, add some furniture, a hide, a water bowl and whammo! You'll have a great russian enclosure.

tryme

5 Year Member
London
i've always just used plywood. cut it to the size i want then frame out the sides and bottom then connect it. i use clear plastic to cover the plywood to keep from molding and hold humidity better
Pic please?

(r.t)

Spain
Your indoor enclosure is WAYYYYY to small. That's a 10 gallon tank. 10 times that size is still too small. Russians need much more room than that. I recommend 122x244cm as a MINIMUM for one of that size and age indoors. They should have even more room outdoors.

Here is one idea for outdoors:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...table-but-safe-outdoor-baby-enclosures.30683/

For indoors, you can just add sides to a sheet of plywood. Hang a light over one end, add some furniture, a hide, a water bowl and whammo! You'll have a great russian enclosure.

I know it's too small :(, but in september I'm going to work on a bigger one:). Thanks :D

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Glass is very heavy, especially at the size needed. Many tortoises don't like being exposed or seeing out all four walls, seeing places they can't go. Glass chips and breaks on impact.

You might want to have a viewing window on the front of the habitat. After all, if you can't see her it's not much fun for you. Plexiglas is much cheaper & lighter than glass, and easy to work with.

My tortoise habitats have large houseplants outside the viewing window. I can see in, but they feel sheltered and are much more relaxed.

(r.t)

Spain
Thanks I will use it in my tortoises new enclousure, I didn't want plastic as my tortoise has a heat mat which you stick at the bottom of the terrarium (on the outside) and with plastic I was worried it might melt or burn

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not use that sort of heat mat. Too dangerous. Burns are common. Better to heat and light from overhead in my experience.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Heat mats are dangerous. Don't plan a habitat around it.

You'll still have the plastic-can-melt problem with an overhead heat emitting UVB bulb if the habitat is too small. Another reason to upsize because that overhead source of UVB & heat is necessary. Not optional.