i think i may have a bully...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stasisdc5

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
so i just happen to walk out into the patio to check on my 2 yearling hermann's when i saw the pink one on its back. without thinking how it got in that state, i just flipped her over and decided to stand there and watch my two little ones doing their thing.

then something peculiar happened. i noticed the blue one decided to follow the pink one and to my surprise nipped at the her shell/rear leg. then to my shock started to mount her. i haven't seen tortoises mating and it sure did look like it but these two most likely haven't reached sexual maturity yet. so, can it be? i have a bully???

i included a picture but as soon as i took the picture the blue one was already sliding off the pink one's back.

IMG_20121004_170926.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How long are they. Measure bottom shell front to back. Also how old? Do you know that one is male and the other female? And where did you get a pick and blue tort:p

stasisdc5

5 Year Member
SoCal
wellington said:
How long are they. Measure bottom shell front to back. Also how old? Do you know that one is male and the other female? And where did you get a pick and blue tort:p

they are both yearlings that i got about a month ago. each is 2.5" long. lol i was referring to the color of nail polish dot i put on their backs. :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ya, I know they weren't really pink or blue, darn, that would be cute. They aren't old enough that I know of to be breeding. However, if he keeps bothering her, I would say separate them or she could get ill and/or die. See what others think.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Yes, they start domination behaviour very early. Sex is irrelevant, I don't know if Blue is male and Pink female, they can be anything, and domination will still occur. I would not separate them, they should be familiar with the other, or more violent fights will happen when older and put together. That's kindergarten "fight". They will establish who's the boss now.
Separate only if Blue will became so crazy and persistent and really hurt Pink, but that is less likely, since being that young, no hormonal motivation for agressivity now. A nice pen with obstacles/visual barriers, hides etc. will help.

stasisdc5

5 Year Member
SoCal
CactusVinnie said:
Yes, they start domination behaviour very early. Sex is irrelevant, I don't know if Blue is male and Pink female, they can be anything, and domination will still occur. I would not separate them, they should be familiar with the other, or more violent fights will happen when older and put together. That's kindergarten "fight". They will establish who's the boss now.
Separate only if Blue will became so crazy and persistent and really hurt Pink, but that is less likely, since being that young, no hormonal motivation for agressivity now. A nice pen with obstacles/visual barriers, hides etc. will help.

wow. that is very interesting to hear. I was not aware that that type of behavior would start at such a young age. OK. I will continue to keep them together and be more vigilant. although I have an extra enclosure available if there came a need to separate them, I really hope the 2 can stay together in one.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
If you think Blue was the reason Pink flipped over, I personally would separate them now. What happens if Pink gets flipped over and you are away from the house? She could be stuck on her back for a very long time, and potentially die.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
They don't die that easy only from being stuck on their back, overheating is dangerous. But if the pen has some shade, various materials, stones etc., to offer some support, they are able to flip back, using their heads to pivot, like Shaolin monks. It's harder for large animals, but due to their size, it's the easiest now. Separating may lead to more intense agression when meeting later.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
I'm glad they marked pink and blue and not red and blue....then you could have problems in November! :p

Mine walk all over each other...the female is more dominate because of her size but they both share at meal times and are both fairly active.

stasisdc5

5 Year Member
SoCal
alright. i'm convinced. it's definitely a dominance thing. now the pink one is mounting the blue one! it's like they're taking turns trying to punk each other. it's actually quite cute and hilarious at this age.

20121006_132435.jpg

if you look carefully at the previous photo, you'll see that the blue one was on top but now they've switched places!

LongislandPhan

5 Year Member
Yea should be fine, just make sure they have plenty of hides and/or can be obstructed from each others views from different parts of the enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.