I need some help...thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shane42096

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
So I bought a leopard tortoise in April at a reptile show. I am upgrading his tank from a 10 gallon to a 20 long, but need help setting it up appropriatley. I can't find anything online for baby leopard toirtises, like diet wise or housing. Please help, thanks!

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Personally I think that's a little small even for a leopard hatchling. I'm keeping mine in a 39" x 20" underbed container, half covered during the day and fully covered at night, for the first year or so. Moistened coconut coir/fiber substrate is good.

There's plenty of information here. It would take too long to explain everything in a single post.

BTW, how do you have a tortoise for 8 months and not even research the diet? What have you been feeding it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Toms threads at the bottom of my post are great ways to raise a leopard. Even the sulcata ones, they are both pretty much raised the same.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
shane42096 said:
So I bought a leopard tortoise in April at a reptile show. I am upgrading his tank from a 10 gallon to a 20 long, but need help setting it up appropriatley. I can't find anything online for baby leopard toirtises, like diet wise or housing. Please help, thanks!

First, Welcome to the Forum!

Leopards ROCK!

Second, PLEASE dont put your baby Leopard in a 20 gal. Tank! If you want a larger tank (and you DO need one!) Please go NO SMALLER than a 40 gal. tank but anything with at least 6 square foot of walking space will do!

Read the links from the last few post and I think you will understand better!

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I agree, Zamric. I'm also a little bewildered that he couldn't find anything about diet and housing online after 8 months when a google search brings up a bunch of results within seconds. That's how I found this forum. Even outside of TFO there are tons of results for leopard tortoise diet and care. There may be some chain yanking going on here.

Good luck nonetheless.

shane42096

5 Year Member
I have just been feeding him lettuce. I have researched diet, but wanted to know if there are some things that you guys feed your tortoises that they prefer more then just lettuce and dandelions. And the housing before I saw on youtube, I just wanted suggestions. Sorry my thread made me look like a bad owner.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It's okay. It's very hard to understand what each of us are trying to convey, when using just the written word. My young leopards prefer most the weeds from outside (dandelions, plantain, clover, mulberry leaves and grape leaves). Store bought they still much rather have the spring mix, but turnip greens are high on their likes list. I also have them eat Mazuri every so often. I try to make it so they learn to eat as large of an assortment of food as I can, not just allow them to pick which varieties THEY like best.

The bigger enclosure you can go with the best. Also when folks say 40 gal, that is a 40 gal breeder tank, it has more floor space, not height.

shane42096

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
It's okay. It's very hard to understand what each of us are trying to convey, when using just the written word. My young leopards prefer most the weeds from outside (dandelions, plantain, clover, mulberry leaves and grape leaves). Store bought they still much rather have the spring mix, but turnip greens are high on their likes list. I also have them eat Mazuri every so often. I try to make it so they learn to eat as large of an assortment of food as I can, not just allow them to pick which varieties THEY like best.

The bigger enclosure you can go with the best. Also when folks say 40 gal, that is a 40 gal breeder tank, it has more floor space, not height.

Do you think the Rubbermaid container is a better choice?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
By Rubbermaid are you talking about the underbed totes or the other types of totes? Or are you talking the big Rubbermaid stock tanks? I myself use the stock tanks and have a couple of those other tubs, but more for soaking or cleaning tubs, not housing. In my house they are too light weight and cats often jump on them and flip them over. :rolleyes:

I am also one of those who loves the glass tanks for hatchlings. It allows you an easier time to see your tortoise as a baby. Easy to keep in humidity. No worries about melting the enclosure with a heat or light bulb. Heavy enough cats can't tip them. You can buy premade lids for the aquas.

Bad side to glass tanks are they are heavy for humans to move, they are glass, so when they break they can shatter. They cost more to purchase.

With the plastic you have a big plus that if you get creative, you can add more boxes onto the first one.

So it's really up to you.

shane42096

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
By Rubbermaid are you talking about the underbed totes or the other types of totes? Or are you talking the big Rubbermaid stock tanks? I myself use the stock tanks and have a couple of those other tubs, but more for soaking or cleaning tubs, not housing. In my house they are too light weight and cats often jump on them and flip them over. :rolleyes:

I am also one of those who loves the glass tanks for hatchlings. It allows you an easier time to see your tortoise as a baby. Easy to keep in humidity. No worries about melting the enclosure with a heat or light bulb. Heavy enough cats can't tip them. You can buy premade lids for the aquas.

Bad side to glass tanks are they are heavy for humans to move, they are glass, so when they break they can shatter. They cost more to purchase.

With the plastic you have a big plus that if you get creative, you can add more boxes onto the first one.

So it's really up to you.

I just really want what's best for him. a 20 gallon long isn't enough floor space, in my opinion. If I were to go with the one in the picture, would that be to big? I really just want someone on here that has kept them in these before to give me some advice on which container to purchase tonight.

Attachments

• Baby_Leopard_Tortoise_Pen.jpg
    Baby_Leopard_Tortoise_Pen.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 23

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm really surprised at the different uses people put cement mixing tubs to.

Go to your GOOGLE home page and click on "images," then type in "cement mixing tubs." You get lots and lots of pictures of how people keep their water turtles, rabbits, cactus, etc. Lots of ideas. And the cement mixing tubs are quite cheap, and heavy duty. I was absolutely amazed to see my own baby box turtles cement mixing tub featured in the grouping.

shane42096

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I'm really surprised at the different uses people put cement mixing tubs to.

Go to your GOOGLE home page and click on "images," then type in "cement mixing tubs." You get lots and lots of pictures of how people keep their water turtles, rabbits, cactus, etc. Lots of ideas. And the cement mixing tubs are quite cheap, and heavy duty. I was absolutely amazed to see my own baby box turtles cement mixing tub featured in the grouping.

thank you so much for the response! I will do that right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.