New to tortoises and need help.

Kaitlyn Carver

I am new to tortoises and bought a baby leopard hatchling back in April. He was doing fine when I got him. But lately his she'll has been getting soft. And I sought out help when it first started happening. We gave him more uv light and started taking him outside more. They said it also might be a calcium deficiency. So I bought a supplement, but he won't eat at all. I've tried a huge variety of greens, fruits, and vegetables, but he didn't like the supplement and wouldn't eat so I stopped putting that on his food but now he won't eat at all, he doesn't really move and I'm very worried about him. He doesn't really drink either.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
It sounds to me like it might be time for a vet visit. If you could let us know where you are located maybe someone can recommend a vet.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Dr. Greek in Yorba Linda is a wonderful reptile vet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

What's the weather like back there? And what about humidity? And your cute tort's enclosure?

Please note that torts take time to adapt, so don't panic. You'll get the help you need here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Calcium needs the UVB either from the sun or from a good UVB light in order to work inside the tortoise. Without calcium the shell gets soft and the bones bet weak.

If your tortoise won't eat the food when it has calcium sprinkled on it, then you're using too much. You just need a small pinch between your thumb and index finger. But now that he's not eating, you'll probably have to see a vet for calcium injections.

There are some very good vets in your area -

Thomas H. Boyer, DVM
Pet Hospital of Penasquitos
9888 Carmel Mt. Road, Suite F
San Diego, CA 92129
Tel: (858) 484-3490
Fax: (858) 484-3499

Greek & Associates Veterinary Hospital
23687 Via Del Rio
Yorba Linda, CA 92887
714-463-1190
http://gavh.net/

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Where did you get him, and how did the breeder start him? Search hatchling fail syndrome for more info.

Melissa101

5 Year Member
UK
I agree with Yvonne, you only need a really small dusting of calcium powder on the food, the tortoise shouldn't even notice it.

Definitely time for a vet check, I'm sure they can help you find a solution :)