I Need Advice (sulcata lethargic)

Myranda

My baby Sulcata hasn't been himself lately and I'm very worried that he could be sick. He used to walk around his tank, take daily walks, be very excited for dinner time but lately he has done a 180 change. He is very lethargic and sleeps about 90% of the time. He barely touches his food and his shell feels soft, much more so than what's normal for babies. I'm worried about my little guy. Does anyone have any ideas?

Killerrookie

Can we get a picture of what you house him in and can we see the little guy?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hi Myranda

Lethargy is almost always a problem caused by incorrect temperatures.

What are the four important temperatures in the enclosure? Warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum.

What have you been feeding your tortoise?

Pictures of your enclosure and lighting will help us to help you too.

You must give your tortoise 30 minutes soaks every day in warm water while he's not eating properly

Myranda

I'm having a hard time uploading photos. I'm not sure why. I usually feed him spring mix, that was the pet store's recommendation, of course didn't just take their word for it. I did my own research and I've tried feeding him a commercial tortoise food, with grasses and hay. I've tried other vegetables as well and somw fruit but he hasn't seemed interested any anything but spring mix and broccoli. As for his temperatures, I'm not 100% sure. His heat lamp bulb recently failed and I had to purchase a new one, I believe it keeps the warm side at around 90. I'm not sure about the cool side. His cool side consisted pretty much of his little hideaway dome.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You MUST get an accurate digital thermometer and sort out the temperatures. You cannot rely on guesswork. Your tortoise could become very sick indeed if temperatures are wrong.

A temperature gun type like this is inexpensive from Amazon or a hardware store.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482875831.880688.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482875844.383137.jpg

Your tortoise needs to bask at 95-100F in order to digest food and be active.

I find it easier to upload photos using the app on my cellphone.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your tortoise needs a diet of leafy greens.

It cannot digest sugars properly - they cause kidney and digestive problems - so fruit, carrot, bell pepper and tomato should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally if at all.

Not all greens, eg broccoli, are suitable to feed.

Check the greens you can buy or pick on The Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability
http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

Myranda

I do have a thermometer in his enclosure. It reads 90-100 degrees most of the time. I'm just concerned that I'm not doing something right with his temperatures. I have him (temporarily) in a 20 gallon glass tank with a mesh lid. He has both dirt and a reptile mulch in the bottom of his tank as well as a wooden log-looking dome that he can go under. I also have his food and water dishes in there as well. I give him fresh food and water daily. I am in the process of ordering him a tortoise table to make him more comfortable.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I do have a thermometer in his enclosure. It reads 90-100 degrees most of the time. I'm just concerned that I'm not doing something right with his temperatures. I have him (temporarily) in a 20 gallon glass tank with a mesh lid. He has both dirt and a reptile mulch in the bottom of his tank as well as a wooden log-looking dome that he can go under. I also have his food and water dishes in there as well. I give him fresh food and water daily. I am in the process of ordering him a tortoise table to make him more comfortable.

Myranda, not sure if you have had time to read all the sully care sheets, but a "tortoise table" is not the solution to the issues here. No one recommends a table for young sullys..it won't make him more comfortable. Could in fact make things more complicated.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A tank is fine as long as the floor area is large enough and you have some sort of lid to hold the heat/humidity in.

The mesh must not obstruct the lamps and would let the heat and moisture out in any case. What type of UVB lamp do you have?

Myranda

I've read many forums, sheets, websites, and have spoken to many different people and they all tell me different things. I'll read the material you sent. I just want the little guy to be happy and healthy.

Is the 20 gallon glass tank suitable or should I switch to something else? What temperature should I keep his tank at all the time?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
So, the mesh lid needs to go?
Yes. You need something that keeps the heat in, but that doesn't obstruct the lights (cut holes if necessary)

What's the floor area of the tank? And how long is your tortoise - here's how to measure it
http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm

I have to apologise that I am in the UK and heading to bed just now. I'll come back to you in my morning if the others haven't helped you in the meantime :)

Killerrookie

The Sulcata has no room to move in the 20 galling enclosure and maybe one of the problems why he's not as active. You'll notice a huge difference if you get him a big enclosure with plenty of space to walk about.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
The mesh lid lets all the moist humid air out, and depending on the type of light, blocks important UVA/UVB rays.

There are lots of threads on the forum that describe and show proper setups for young sulcatas.

Sullys need high heat, high humidity, day basking light, overnight heat, soakings daily, good moist humid substrate, a nice dark humid hide to retreat to.

Myranda

I've had him since September in the 20 gal. tank and he hasn't shown any signs of lethargy until recently.

Myranda

In that case there are a lot of misleading informational resources out there. I've been told not to have the enclosure humid, but to keep it dry and desert - like

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member