Sulcata baby started eating less

Chompski

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
About a week ago, my sulcata started eating very few. He barely touch the vegetables that i gave him.
His condition & routine is like this:
-> Sunbathing with warm water bathing for soaking at 8 am. He usually and still active during this, he walks around the tub and take a dump in the water.
-> After soaking i let him roam around under sunlight for about 30-45 minute depends if he still walking i will let him still running around. He usually eat a lot during this, like 4-5 small pellet and 1-3 vegetables leaves
-> Usually on enclosure he would eat about 1-2 vegetable leaves but about a week he never touches them. I put vegetables such as bok choy and some others, i put grasses too (he never touch them but i put them there anyway), some hibiscus leaves & flower. On the past week he never touches them. Lately he only ate food pellet and very few amount (about 3-5 pellet a day).
-> He sleeps a lot these days, i try to wake him up and he just sleeps all day in the enclosure.
-> Usually at noon i put him on the floor and he roam around and ate his food, now he just slept on the floor.
-> Right now it is rainy season, does that affect his behaviour?
-> I always kept the tempt at 105-110 for basking spot, 85-90 for his hidding spot.
-> I use exo terra plantation soil as substrate
-> I use exo terra uvb 100 25watt (but lately i didnt use them because i was afraid he's sleeping a lot because it's too bright for him, although i've been using it for a month or so and it was fine back then.
-> I see some weird skin condition on his mouth, he was shedding about 2 week ago.
(here's the picture https://imgur.com/a/XLLDjPD)

Any suggestion or pointer what should i do or shouldnt do?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Are his eyes closed all the time? It is important to post your location so we can understand how your climate and light conditions affect your tortoise. Being the rainy season, it could affect the light that reaches him in his enclosure and make him feel more sleepy. When you say you let him roam under sunlight, is this outdoors? Tortoises can't benefit from sunlight that comes through windows. You should never put your tortoise on the floor. It is too cold and dangerous.

Chompski

Indonesia
Are his eyes closed all the time? It is important to post your location so we can understand how your climate and light conditions affect your tortoise. Being the rainy season, it could affect the light that reaches him in his enclosure and make him feel more sleepy. When you say you let him roam under sunlight, is this outdoors? Tortoises can't benefit from sunlight that comes through windows. You should never put your tortoise on the floor. It is too cold and dangerous.
Yes his eyes is closed a lot of times, i lived in indonesia (the profile edit seems to be in error, i've tried to changed it plenty of times before). I lived in the main city so it's pretty warm here. I put him outside directly under sunlight, the floor was really warm borderline hot though where i lived the sunlight is quite direct and hot

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I think his eyes being closed is a problem. That usually means he isn't healthy. If the uvb bulb you were using is the coil type, that has been known to cause problems with tortoise's eyes. If that is the only problem, it will get better now that you aren't using the bulb. If you can get him outside in the sun at least 3 times a week or so, you won't need a UVB bulb.

How much does your sulcata weigh? Do you know how he was raised before you got him? Sometimes tortoises fail because of the way the breeder raised them.

Chompski

Indonesia
I think his eyes being closed is a problem. That usually means he isn't healthy. If the uvb bulb you were using is the coil type, that has been known to cause problems with tortoise's eyes. If that is the only problem, it will get better now that you aren't using the bulb. If you can get him outside in the sun at least 3 times a week or so, you won't need a UVB bulb.

How much does your sulcata weigh? Do you know how he was raised before you got him? Sometimes tortoises fail because of the way the breeder raised them.
I havent weight him, but i''ll get right to it when i can, he's about 4-5months old i think. To be honest i dont think the breeder really raised himwell since the first weeks i got him he was having bubbles in his nose, but that's gone now after i soak him daily and putting higher temp for days.
Also i got a friend who got sulcata from the same breeder and his sulcata died last week.
I put him almost everyday in the morning, current i havent use the bulb the past 3 days.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Sigh,,, wish I had a solution, but I’m a virgin sulcata owner myself since March 2018 and from tortoise town, many have had bad experiences but my Daisy is sassy and thriving, now over 300 grams a couple weeks ago, Time to weigh and measure again, Luck of the draw I guess, but tortoise town told me she was incubated at female temperature and kept in humid enclosure! When I got her she was packed great and when I opened box she was looking at me annoyed like what the hell just happened and where is my food??? She immediately got soaked, I fed her raw weeds, soaked again a few hours later, she peed and pooped and has been just as sassy and Independent since. I never thought I’d have such an emotional connection!

Last edited:

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Ugh, so annoyed! Husband so called soaked her, probably 5 minutes and said she was stressed and took her out, well, what do I come home to? Giant poop smeared all over her food bowl ... I gagged it stank so bad not being diluted by water, normally Daisy gets soaked for 20 minutes then she self soaks and will poop in one or the other, easy clean up, MEN! and he is the one that bought her! I adore her but really hubby?? Take some
Responsibility!!! RANT OVER

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Ugh, so annoyed! Husband so called soaked her, probably 5 minutes and said she was stressed and took her out, well, what do I come home to? Giant poop smeared all over her food bowl ... I gagged it stank so bad not being diluted by water, normally Daisy gets soaked for 20 minutes then she self soaks and will poop in one or the other, easy clean up, MEN! and he is the one that bought her! I adore her but really hubby?? Take some
Responsibility!!! RANT OVER

Wait, not over! I had to scrub the dish, soak it in vinegar... could not get rid of smell. Then scrubbed and cleaned and rinsed with fresh water☠️[emoji35]

kazjimmy

baldwin park
Can you turn off the light but still keep the temperature at 80f? If you can try to let him have at least 22 hrs low light life.

Chompski

Indonesia
Updates:
So i took him/her to a vet and did a xray, according to the doctor his/her internal organs are fine but there are sign of constipation so he told me to soak him longer each day and the skin peeling on the face might be a problem and told me to put some special dermatologist shampop for 5 minute each day and he gave me a capsule of antibiotics divided to 20 intake with twice intake each day.
Can you turn off the light but still keep the temperature at 80f? If you can try to let him have at least 22 hrs low light life.
Yeah i think i can, but is 80f enough for him? He do have sign of RI (nose bubble) a bout 2-3 weeks ago.

kazjimmy

baldwin park
Updates:
So i took him/her to a vet and did a xray, according to the doctor his/her internal organs are fine but there are sign of constipation so he told me to soak him longer each day and the skin peeling on the face might be a problem and told me to put some special dermatologist shampop for 5 minute each day and he gave me a capsule of antibiotics divided to 20 intake with twice intake each day.

Yeah i think i can, but is 80f enough for him? He do have sign of RI (nose bubble) a bout 2-3 weeks ago.

Nose bubble could be a sign of cold but if the enclosure temperature were too high. Tortoise will cry(just like alligator) or have running rose as well. Let the tortoise get enough sleep. If you really worry and wanna to check every hour, I suggest you get a IP camera(I did this to my sick tortoise), not to disturb him too much.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Updates:

Up your temps to 85 if he is sick, this will help.

Chompski

Indonesia
Nose bubble could be a sign of cold but if the enclosure temperature were too high. Tortoise will cry(just like alligator) or have running rose as well. Let the tortoise get enough sleep. If you really worry and wanna to check every hour, I suggest you get a IP camera(I did this to my sick tortoise), not to disturb him too much.
The nose bubble is only came out when it's rain outside so if it;s rain usually i put an extra che heater, but i havent see the nose bubble at all anymore even it's rain, just lethargy right now.

Up your temps to 85 if he is sick, this will help.
The temps usually always is 85 at lowest and basking at 100, here's hoping he'll get better soon.

Chompski

Indonesia
So a week have passed and he is still eating very few and sleep around all day, is it possible he is hibernating? Not sure what to do now.
He still poop when i give him a bath, and he kept looking for cool(er) place when i put him under sunlight

Last edited: