I got a fitbit

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
Has anyone else used one of these? I've resisted for a long time because I'm not normally into fitness "fads"...but, seeing as I recently embarked on a diet, I figured what the heck and bought one. I got the flex, which is the wrist band version that tracks calories and sleep, etc. So far, it is pretty cool. Plus it comes in lots of super awesome colors....I got teal.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've been thinking about getting one, however they're so costly, and with all the year end bills and christmas, I really shouldn't spend $$ on myself right now.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I figured it would be a waist of money, like all the other workout stuff I had waisted money on. I laugh every time my doc asks if I exercise. Specially when she is way over weight then I am:confused:

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I have a band from Pivitol Living. The pluses are that it is super cheap and does what most of the other entry level bands do, but the downside is that my phone wont support it so I have to sync it to my boyfriends phone which is irritating.

When I wear it it does guilt me into being more active.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
It has been worth the money so far to me. I was especially interested in the sleep tracking part. It is kind of cool to see all the stats at the end of each day and in the morning.

AnimalLady

How does it track calories? Do you tell it what you eat and the portion size?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
How does it track calories? Do you tell it what you eat and the portion size?
From what I understand so far...it tracks calories based on your height and weight (which you enter in during set up) and based on the number of steps you are taking and how quickly you are taking them. I have been inputting what I've been eating...the log is very easy to use and isn't as time consuming as you would think. I'm really not into calorie counting and such, I've always gone off of how I feel and how clothes fit but my friend and I are doing this diet together so I am tracking the calories to be sure I don't go over.

Foursteels

5 Year Member
South Florida
I've had the fitbit with the clip-on, but the clip broke after a year or two. It worked great with steps and distance and I used to track my sleep for the heck of it, but like anything else, I stopped excercising after awhile anyway. It didn't work while riding a bike either which was disappointing. I also have the fitbit scale which works great. The new fitbit surge looks pretty cool, but I want either a yellow or white band...lol

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I've had the fitbit with the clip-on, but the clip broke after a year or two. It worked great with steps and distance and I used to track my sleep for the heck of it, but like anything else, I stopped excercising after awhile anyway. It didn't work while riding a bike either which was disappointing. I also have the fitbit scale which works great. The new fitbit surge looks pretty cool, but I want either a yellow or white band...lol
I've exercised fairly consistently most of my adult life, but I'm more into power lifting rather than cardio type exercises but....yesterday it managed to give me a pretty accurate of calorie expenditure during my 45 min workout. If you ever get a surge you'll have to let me know how you like it.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
The "Not working while biking" thing was irritating for me as well since that is my favorite activity.

Foursteels

5 Year Member
South Florida
The "Not working while biking" thing was for me as well since that is my favorite activity.

I believe the new Fitbit Surge works while biking too...It just doesn't come in any color that I would wear. Wish this technology was around back when I ran a marathon and trained everyday. Now it would be really just another gadget for me.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I believe the new Fitbit Surge works while biking too...It just doesn't come in any color that I would wear. Wish this technology was around back when I ran a marathon and trained everyday. Now it would be really just another gadget for me.
Yeah I just read that the Surge is supposed to work with biking, couldn't find much on how accurate it is though.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I have a ChargeHR now - I had a Vivofit but it didn't have an actual clasp (it snapped together like the Flex/Charge) so I lost it after a month or two. The caller ID is also kinda cool if you leave your phone sitting around.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a surge, though it doesn't look like it'd work with a Nano so that's the biggest downside.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Have any of y'all joined a group?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yeah I just read that the Surge is supposed to work with biking, couldn't find much on how accurate it is though.
How does if track your sleep? Can you list all the things it does do. I thought this just counted your steps and that was it. I obviously never looked into it or payed attention to the commercials.

Foursteels

5 Year Member
South Florida
There is a Fitbit app for the iphone, android, and microsoft phones which syncs the data, etc. and the GPS on the surge probably makes the bike riding data pretty accurate. I better stop writing about it before I end up buying one. :confused:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There is a Fitbit app for the iphone, android, and microsoft phones which syncs the data, etc. and the GPS on the surge probably makes the bike riding data pretty accurate. I better stop writing about it before I end up buying one. :confused:
Well, you seem to know a lot about them, that would make it very easy for you to use. So I think you should either go get it or put it on your Xmas wish list:D

Foursteels

5 Year Member
South Florida
How does if track your sleep? Can you list all the things it does do. I thought this just counted your steps and that was it. I obviously never looked into it or payed attention to the commercials.

With the fitbit I had (clip on) you would wear the device on your wrist or clip it to your night shirt and put it in sleep mode. The device would monitor your movements throughout the night and you could view a graph like data chart registering your sleep periods and waking moments. You could tell when you slept steady for a prolonged period or when you were tossing and turning all night. I would imagine the technology is even better now as I had one of the originals.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
With the fitbit I had (clip on) you would wear the device on your wrist or clip it to your night shirt and put it in sleep mode. The device would monitor your movements throughout the night and you could view a graph like data chart registering your sleep periods and waking moments. You could tell when you slept steady for a prolonged period or when you were tossing and turning all night. I would imagine the technology is even better now as I had one of the originals.

When they make one that tracks your sleep and knocks you upside the head when you snore or grind your teeth, I will be buying my hubby one :D.
Really that's pretty interesting. I might have to look further into them.