I found this little guy in our driveway

Rob in Glyndon

Location (City and/or State)
Glyndon MD
There's no water around here, but plenty of wooded area. What should I do to keep him safe? We have 1 1/2 acres, half of it completely wooded, but I don't think there's any bodies of water around here. Yet, there he was, in our driveway headed for the street. Any suggestions?
441388649_10229757488337425_153028435927509457_n.jpg

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
There's no water around here, but plenty of wooded area. What should I do to keep him safe? We have 1 1/2 acres, half of it completely wooded, but I don't think there's any bodies of water around here. Yet, there he was, in our driveway headed for the street. Any suggestions?
View attachment 369960
Painted turtle. They will travel great distances this time if year to reach bodies of water

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That is an Eastern Painted Turtle. Native to your area.

This is the beginning of the time of year that females are out walking considerable distances looking for places to lay eggs.
Yes that's what my state's fish and wildlife said when I went through something similar. She was trying to cross the road and cats were after her so my neighbor brought her to me. I put her in Sapphire's outdoor enclosure overnight and after talking with fish and wildlife I released her just a couple or so feet away from where she was picked up the next day. It was so interesting and fun. I placed her heading back to the river she evidently came from in my yard. She actually remembered where my front door was and scratched on it before she headed back home later. We just watched her from the living room window.🤗 it was beautiful.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You originally said there was no water near you. If I had know there actually was water, I would have suggested to leave her be as long as she is native.
You may want to inform your neighbor to first Google the species and see if it's native and to leave it be if it is and not injured. A human can help them cross the road in the direction they are heading, but should not be taken in or moved to another location.
Oh and if Sapphire is a tortoise or turtle of yours, never place a wild or even bought tortoise/turtle with it, without quarantine first. You never know what diseases they could bring in and pass on to yours.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
You originally said there was no water near you. If I had know there actually was water, I would have suggested to leave her be as long as she is native.
You may want to inform your neighbor to first Google the species and see if it's native and to leave it be if it is and not injured. A human can help them cross the road in the direction they are heading, but should not be taken in or moved to another location.
Oh and if Sapphire is a tortoise or turtle of yours, never place a wild or even bought tortoise/turtle with it, without quarantine first. You never know what diseases they could bring in and pass on to yours.
Really she didn't say she was near water. I did for my experience. Our state fish and wildlife told me that they may. travel many miles away from water to lay their eggs though . Maybe as much as 25 miles. I would never put Sapphire with another animal but it wasn't the time of year or weather for him to be outside anyway. It was a way to keep the painted turtle safe until I knew exactly what to do to help her. I wasn't sure either if she was a pet that escaped or a wild one. I didn't even know what she was.at first. I take Sapphire in and out on a daily basis myself when the weather will be good for him. Toads, snails, etc get in his enclosure all the time. That's something I can't stop if I want to get him outside. So he is exposed to wildlife at times. Even so his poop didn't have parasites and I can wash everything else off in a soak. 🤗

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Really she didn't say she was near water. I did for my experience. Our state fish and wildlife told me that they may. travel many miles away from water to lay their eggs though . Maybe as much as 25 miles. I would never put Sapphire with another animal but it wasn't the time of year or weather for him to be outside anyway. It was a way to keep the painted turtle safe until I knew exactly what to do to help her. I wasn't sure either if she was a pet that escaped or a wild one. I didn't even know what she was.at first. I take Sapphire in and out on a daily basis myself when the weather will be good for him. Toads, snails, etc get in his enclosure all the time. That's something I can't stop if I want to get him outside. So he is exposed to wildlife at times. Even so his poop didn't have parasites and I can wash everything else off in a soak. 🤗
25 miles away from water to lay their eggs? That sounds absolutely crazy. So when the babies hatch, at their tiny size and in their delicate newborn state, they have a 25 miles journey ahead of them to get to water???! No way Jose. 😂

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I totally did get your post and the original poster mixed up. I thought she answered what she did with the turtle.
But it's still not safe to place an unknown in yours area, even if she isn't in it herself. Some other wildlife mixing in isn't as dangerous and likely can't transmit disease from them to a tortoise and some can't be controlled, why others can be. That's why it's always recommended by many, even Tom, to quarantine any new comers.
Sounds like it worked out okay though this time.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
25 miles away from water to lay their eggs? That sounds absolutely crazy. So when the babies hatch, at their tiny size and in their delicate newborn state, they have a 25 miles journey ahead of them to get to water???! No way Jose. 😂
I know but that's what I was told if I remember correctly. Sol I faced her back towards the small river I'm sure she came from when I released her the following day. But really what I was trying to say and didn't say well is that they do travel a long way from water to lay eggs. The bottom part of our yard can flood so it makes sense that they would travel somewhere on higher ground. I live around 3 city blocks away from the river and she was trying to cross a heavily traveled road to go even further. What was even stranger was she remembered what route she took into my back yard and came to my front door before she eventually left. It took a couple of hours to release her because she didn't right away. She played around in a flower bed at the front of my house. It was totally a beautiful experience.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I totally did get your post and the original poster mixed up. I thought she answered what she did with the turtle.
But it's still not safe to place an unknown in yours area, even if she isn't in it herself. Some other wildlife mixing in isn't as dangerous and likely can't transmit disease from them to a tortoise and some can't be controlled, why others can be. That's why it's always recommended by many, even Tom, to quarantine any new comers.
Sounds like it worked out okay though this time.
Yes you are right but I didn't know what else to do for the animal. It was another turtle rescue dropped in my lap just because I have a Russian tortoise. People tend to think you can take care of any of them if you have one and it's just simply not true. Each type of turtle or tortoise needs care specific to them. I'm sorry I don't always say it right and might cause a misunderstanding. Thank you for being you.😊

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes you are right but I didn't know what else to do for the animal. It was another turtle rescue dropped in my lap just because I have a Russian tortoise. People tend to think you can take care of any of them if you have one and it's just simply not true. Each type of turtle or tortoise needs care specific to them. I'm sorry I don't always say it right and might cause a misunderstanding. Thank you for being you.😊
I'm the worse for explaining things so they are easily understood. I don't think it was you at all that confused me. I don't think i looked at the poster name and just assumed it was the thread OP.
I totally understand though. Sometimes issues pop up and you have to do what you can at the drop of a hat.

JTH

5 Year Member
East Lansing, MI
As others have said, this is a native Eastern Painted Turtle. I think you said there was no water nearby... but this species doesn't need (or even prefer) streams or rivers. A small pond, even human-made, can provide sufficient habitat. It seems a bit early for nesting, but you are farther south than I am, so it is possible. They may travel up to a mile or so from water to nest, but usually nest much closer to water. It's possible that the turtle was picked up elsewhere by someone and released (or it escaped) away from good habitat. Painted Turtles do not tend to form or stay in well-defined territories like certain other species, so if you are worried that it will not find habitat locally, feel free to move it to a weedy pond or lake edge and it will have a good chance of surviving.