I need advice on keeping a box turtle off my driveway.

Andreu

Location (City and/or State)
NC
I live in the country on two acres. Recently I had a turtle show up everyday on my patio. I realized that she was sick. She had an abcessed ear so I found a lady a few hours away who rehabs turtles and took Betty to her. 6 weeks later I was able to get her back and bring her home. Now I see her daily roaming around the property and I am in love with her!! But...I am so worried about our long driveway. How can I keep her from being where cars and trucks pull in??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is the driveway cement or asphalt? Is she possibly going there to warm up in the mornings?
If so, maybe try putting a large flat rock along side the road where you see her most, but where the sun shines. Hopefully she will use the rock instead of the road
You could also put up a sign, "caution watch for box turtles".
Good luck. Thanks for helping her.

Andreu

NC
Is the driveway cement or asphalt? Is she possibly going there to warm up in the mornings?
If so, maybe try putting a large flat rock along side the road where you see her most, but where the sun shines. Hopefully she will use the rock instead of the road
You could also put up a sign, "caution watch for box turtles".
Good luck. Thanks for helping her.
Hi. Thank you for the sign suggestions.. I had thought about that one a few days ago so I am going to get that done today. Also the rock thought. I will do that also_Our driveway is gravel and pretty long. We live pretty far back in the Appalachia mountains with little in the way of stores around so we do a bit of on line buying. Those delivery trucks are a real worry for me.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yeah even the gravel will be a spot that they could warm up from below and the sun above.
The only other idea I can think of, would be to place cheap landscaping trim/boarder fence along the road. However, if it's that long of a road, it wouldn't be cheap to do, as you'd have to do both sides too.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Is your property fenced? Can you set up a security gate so anyone coming in a vehicle has to be let in by someone in the house, then they can also be warned?

Andreu

NC
Yeah even the gravel will be a spot that they could warm up from below and the sun above.
The only other idea I can think of, would be to place cheap landscaping trim/boarder fence along the road. However, if it's that long of a road, it wouldn't be cheap to do, as you'd have to do both sides too.
I thought about this also. Our drive is pretty long so it would be costly. I have a few landscape timbers and some black drainage pipe that I can rig for now. It will only supply the drive closest to our yard but it is a start. I can't even tell you how happy I am every time I see her. She's all over the place here.

Andreu

NC
I thought about this also. Our drive is pretty long so it would be costly. I have a few landscape timbers and some black drainage pipe that I can rig for now. It will only supply the drive closest to our yard but it is a start. I plan to figure this out! I can't even tell you how happy I am every time I see her. She's all over the place here.

Andreu

NC
Is your property fenced? Can you set up a security gate so anyone coming in a vehicle has to be let in by someone in the house, then they can also be warned?
Unfortunately this wont work for us. It is a small town though so I plan to talk to the UPS and Fed X drivers. Plus I am getting a sign made to put at the start of our drive. Fingers crossed this helps and I can get something permanent put in over the winter.

Andreu

NC
Nothing better really than to see wildlife being in the wild.
she started showing up everyday on my side yard patio and at first I only noticed a small bump on her neck area but then after a few days it started to form into an abscessed area. It was obvious that she didn't feel well, poor baby , and I think she was asking for help. I called my vet- who didn't work on turtles but they gave me a number and that person gave me another number. Finally after about 5 phone calls I reached a real life angel! She took Betty in, lanced the abscess that was in the ear, cleaned that all up and gave her antibiotics for 5 weeks. Now Bettys home and all over the property. How cool!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That's so nice of you to try and help. I'm pretty sure Betty already took up housekeeping in your yard. Any support you give Betty is way more than mother nature would.