I am considering getting a couple of Russians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
I have been thinking about getting a couple more tortoises, and I am considering Russians. I am an experienced tort mom, but I would like to know what I may be getting myself into ahead of time :)

I will be completely honest. I want a pair. I am not looking to breed them for quantity, but rather once, for the experience. I am prepared to keep the hatchlings myself if I cannot find proper homes for them. They would NOT end up in a pet shop, I can garuantee that!

I am thoroughly aware of the upkeep, expense and care required for tortoises. I have two Sulcatas, and while I have not had them long, I know what a huge responsibility they are and getting them was an educated decision. I can say with 100% certainty that they are happy and healthier, and are having their needs met. I do live in a cold climate, but I do my best to compensate for that.

If I do decide in the end to purchase a pair, it won't be until Febraury or March. I want time to do my homework, and build a suitable tort table. Myself and my husband are both very handy, so that won't be a problem at all :) During the summer months they will be outside.

From what I have read, Russians are mainly crepuscular; is this accurate? What are the required temps? I also have read that they need a grazing diet. I am well aware of the nutritional analysis of greens and vegetables, and I am knowledgable about Ca :p ratios, oxalic acid content, and protein and fat content, so that should not be an issue.

What size do they actually obtain? I have found differing information.

Any websites or research areas that you can direct me to would be great! I also would like the names of some reputable breeders. I want to buy from someone who breeds for quality, not quantity, and takes exceptional care of their torts.

Thanks again,
Kristina

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I'm quite the beginner myself, but I have read about how male and female russian tortoises of breeding age usually should not be kept together in that ratio--more females than males might be necessary so the guy doesn't "pick on" the girl too much, or separate housing altogether.

Are you planning to purchase hatchlings or older? They take quite a while to get to breeding age. I've heard full-grown, they may be as small as 4-5 inches (male), and up to 8 or even 10 inches in some cases (female), SCL.

I like russiantortoise.org (look there for care sheets--they also go into a lot of detail on some topics), and websites of reputable herp or tortoise societies. You might even be able to find a rescue or adoption in your area if you are willing to have older ones, be able to manage health problems, and wait.

There are some lists of reputable breeders out there if you Google it--depends on if you are willing to have them shipped. Getting hatchlings is easier in summer I believe as many are born in the spring. I had a hard time finding my little guy in November. If you want one male and one female, and hatchlings, you'll need to buy ones that are temperature-sexed, and even that is not 100% (usually you cannot tell their sex for sure until they are close to maturity).

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Thanks.

I do not want hatchlings, but rather a pair over 4" SCL. Housing will be seperate, should have mentioned that. I don't want to get a trio of females and a male simply because if I end up keeping my hatchlings... That is way more tortoises than I need, lol! I really do not want to commercially breed. I have an incubator already, and I just want the satisfaction and experience of hatching a tortoise and raising it to maturity.

Shipping is fine. There is a local rescue but they have strict no breeding rules, and I 100% agree that rescues should not be bred unless they are a rare or endangered species. It is just the principle of the fact.

Kristina

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Every time I try to type Ca: P I get Ca:p and I keep forgetting to add the space in there, lol. I might just have to start typing out calcium:phosphorus :)

Kristina

Status
Not open for further replies.