Considering a Russian Tortoise...

J.W.

Hello! I'm considering getting a RT soon, and I am wondering if any of you have tips on things like supplies, bringing it home, general care, etc.. Also, I'm a bit confused... Should I feed it romaine lettuce or spring mix? Should I buy tortoise food pellets from Petsmart? Would a kiddie pool be big enough to keep it in, and can I keep it in my screened-in porch? It's completely safe from predators and has a fan and a light. Tips on getting it used to me would be great as well. Thank you,
J.W.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome! We start you begin by reading these threads:

Beginner mistakes: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

And this thread specifically for Russians: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

These will get you started on housing, supplies, and food.

Since you don't have it yet, we don't encourage you to buy anything from Petsmart, including the tortoise! If you can, look to find a responsible breeder or someone in need of rehoming a tortoise.

Come back with more questions once you've had a chance to read the care sheets. :) It's a big chunk of info at first!

J.W.

I go to my local Petsmart very often, I've never seen any tortoises there. I have already read both of the links, they are very helpful. I have a RT picked out on craigslist that I would want to get, I have already emailed the person inquiring about the tortoise's age. A few questions: Could I bring him indoors to play and have baths? Could I take him outside in my (safe, no pesticides) yard to eat dandelions and roam (with supervision) when it is warm?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello @J.W. and a very warm welcome to the forum!

I live in a flat, and when it is nice and sunny I take my beloved Greek tort - OLI - for a "walk" in the sun, which he really enjoys. But, I stand beside him literally like a BODYGUARD!

J.W.

Hello @J.W. and a very warm welcome to the forum!

I live in a flat, and when it is nice and sunny I take my beloved Greek tort - OLI - for a "walk" in the sun, which he really enjoys. But, I stand beside him literally like a BODYGUARD!

Ok. There are a lot of vultures in my area though, would that be a concern, even if I was with him? And any name suggestions...?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Ok. There are a lot of vultures in my area though, would that be a concern, even if I was with him? And any name suggestions...?
In that case take care. :rolleyes: Here, there are cats that wonder around, and goodness me - if I weren't around they'd attack Oli! But they seem to have understood that OLI's BODYGUARD is there - lol! ;)

V sorry I do not have that much imagination for names. :( How about looking for names on the net?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
A few questions:

Could I bring him indoors to play
Tortoises don't play, at all. They will learn to recognize you as the bringer of food but not much more. They see the world as food, mates, territory, and predators. That's about it. If you like reptiles, and I do, they are enjoyable to watch but they won't interact with you.

and have baths?

You can soak tortoises inside but picking them up makes them think they are going to be eaten. It's recommended to either take the soaking tub to the tortoise and do it outside or minimally to put them in the tub before you bring them inside. Again, when you pick them up, they assume you are a predator; you want to minimize the disruption to them.

Could I take him outside in my (safe, no pesticides) yard to eat dandelions and roam (with supervision) when it is warm?
Roaming is strongly discouraged by most owners on this board. Russians in the wild walk miles and miles; they are also great climbers. They will roam the perimeter of anything you put them in and test it constantly to get out. And they will get out, eventually. You can lose one in your own yard even when you think you are being very careful. All tortoises are great at blending into their surroundings--it's how they survive in the wild. I've lost sight of my tortoise when she is standing a foot away from me.

I got my tortoise after she escaped from another person's home/yard and we nearly hit her with our car. If you watch this forum long enough, you'll see that many owners own Russian escapees!

Would vultures be a concern?

Vultures eat dead or dying animals. Doesn't seem like they'd be interested in a healthy tortoise. But I'll let a more knowledgeable owner speak to that, as it's not a concern for me.

J.W.

Hmmm... I am going to reconsider, because I enjoy pets that can be loose in a room with supervision. Thank you all so much for your help,
J.W.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Hmmm... I am going to reconsider, because I enjoy pets that can be loose in a room with supervision. Thank you all so much for your help,
J.W.

In that case, maybe you want to consider rabbits or pet rats. They are very social if raised correctly and can be potty trained. Good luck on your search!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
J.W.
A tortoise is happiest with 4 feet on the ground

It's healthy with the correct diet (leafy weeds) and exposure to the UVB light, heat and humidity that it needs. A tort is 100% reliant on basking at 95F to be active and to digest its food because it is a cold blooded animal. If it is roaming the floor, it gets too cold no matter how warm your house is. Outside, on warm sunny days, in a secure enclosure it can bask in the sun.

The other risk for a tort roaming free is that they will eat something they shouldn't, for example hair or dust bunnies cause intestinal blockages.

It does sound like you want a more social pet than a tortoise. There is a lot more to keeping a tortoise than giving it lettuce, I'm afraid.

J.W.

Thank you so much. I would never have wanted to have a tortoise that I didn't love. I will spend some time thinking about other options.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thank you so much. I would never have wanted to have a tortoise that I didn't love. I will spend some time thinking about other options.
And thank you for caring enough to do your research first. I am sure that whatever pet you settle on will get excellent care :)

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
And thank you for caring enough to do your research first. I am sure that whatever pet you settle on will get excellent care :)

Ditto! I did love my rabbit and I like rats as well! Plus, unlike tortoises, roaming bunnies are social and like to be in pairs! You won't get that from a tortoise. :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Ditto! I did love my rabbit and I like rats as well! Plus, unlike tortoises, roaming bunnies are social and like to be in pairs! You won't get that from a tortoise. :)
Hi. I'd suggest that you take your time. Don't rush for a tort. He/she won't like to be cuddled, won't give and take with you, won't won't wont.....:(

Don't mean to let you down, please do not misunderstand me. ;)