Humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington State
What is the best way to keep proper humidity levels in large enclosures? We have tortoise tables and every time I spray down the enclosure it does not seem as though it does much to add humidity or retain humidity. I use coconut fiber and sand mixture in my russian tortoise enclosures and cyprus mulch in my redfoot enclosure.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Cover most of it with glass, plexiglas, plastic, or some other material as a lid to retain the moisture (of course leave some of it open for ventilation). Another method is to add live plants and moss and water them. Another is to add a drip system (inexpensive at petco) or a mist system. Or use a combo of them!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
While Russian tortoises do require some moisture in their substrate (young moreso than adults), they should not be exposed to extremely high ambient humidity or dripping wet substrates. The composition of the substrate will help greatly too. For my younger Russian and Northern Mediterranean tortoises I use a substrate mix of about 65% organic potting soil, 20% coconut coir and the rest ground up sphagnum moss and leaf litter. I've found that this substrate holds moisture very well while still keeping it's form well enough for them to burrow in and provide firm footing to walk on.

Sand dries out faster than any other substrate material when you add heat to it.

Spraying is not going to add humidity for any prolonged amount of time because only the surface is being dampened and it quickly evaporates into the air, especially at the tortoise's normal activity temperatures.
If you were to heavily spray the substrate and mix it up, the moisture will be retained longer. About the only way to keep ambient humidity where you want it is to trap it as in covering the enclosure.

Covering the enclosure and adding more moisture, along with the heat from lights is going to create an environment probably more suited for Redfoots or Yellowfoots and not so much for Russians.

None of my indoor enclosures, except the Redfoot's are covered and they are in a very dry room simply due to all of the lights being on. I spray the enclosures twice daily and at least twice a week give the young tortoises substrates a good heavy soaking, mixing the substrate up as I spray. I also water the adults twice weekly and the younger tortoises 2-3 times a week. By doing so I've never had a problem with dehydration or dry skin with any of them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
DoctorCosmonaut said:
How do you know this isn't for his Redfoot? jw

Because there are Russians in the OP's signature!! :cool:

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
As a rule of thumb, when you are talking tables, you are talking bigger torts. For the bigger ones, a humid hide is often enough if the rest of the humidity is about 50% or higher.

Otherwise you need to humidify the room or cover some or all of the enclosure.

If you share more about the situation, we can help brainstorm ideas.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Here is how I build my humid hide and my russian torts seem to really benefit from it:

1) plastic sweater bin (bigger or smaller depending on the size of your tort\s). Mine is about 1.5x2ft.
2) plastic planter with diameter about the same size as the width of the plastic bin. Cut it in 1\2 forming 2 half dome hides.
3) Fill the plastic bin with your substrate - about 1\2 way up. I like organic garden soil mixed with some pete moss.
4) Place the 1/2 dome on one end of the plastic bin and push down securly into the soil. Torts can push these things around easily if not anchored and that gets annoying...
5) Fill in the rest of the container with the substrate making an almost 'hobbit' like cave.
6) Use some slate or tile supported so it can't get knocked over... as a ramp up to the plastic bin.
7) Pour a glass of water every day or every other day as needed to keep it moist, but not muddy. The rest of the enclosure can be dry, but where they sleep and nap and dig around, it is nice and humid.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I live in the Arizona desert and finding humidity is always a constant battle.

I purchased a humidifier and it raised my room humidity up to 35-45%. I returned it because I have to fill up 2 gallons every day and a half just for about a 10-20% increase in humidity.

I used to keep fish, so I remember it being humid when I did. I made my own "humidifier" from a strong tupperware (or non-leaking aquarium). I added an air pump with air stone diffuser(whatever it is called) and a water heater. I filled the tupperware/aquarium up. I add water about once a week (way less work than every day!) Or you can just keep a fish aquarium without a top in your tortoise room, just hope the fish don't jump out or put a top that doesn't restrict the humidity. I also keep cypress mulch and a little spagnum moss in one part (NOT ALL) of the enclosure.

Now the room humidity is consistent at 50-55% humidity. There are parts in the enclosure that are more dry and more humid so the tortoises can retreat to wherever they please.

Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Torts said:
What is the best way to keep proper humidity levels in large enclosures? We have tortoise tables and every time I spray down the enclosure it does not seem as though it does much to add humidity or retain humidity. I use coconut fiber and sand mixture in my russian tortoise enclosures and cyprus mulch in my redfoot enclosure.

Where in the country do you live? I'm in the CA desert and this has been a huge problem for me. I have to cover most of the tops of my enclosures and greatly reduce ventilation. I also use a moisture friendly substrate and keep it nearly wet. I also use humid hide boxes and mist several times a day. All of my humidity requiring animals have always done well with these tactics despite the single digit humidity in my area.

I've recently solved this problem by creating a closed, dedicated reptile room. All of the enclosures have humidity increasing substrate and get misted daily. I also use an ultra-sonic humidifier( I pilfered it from my little girl's room and it looks like a giant frog, so goes perfectly in the reptile room ) and mist the concrete floor and ceiling in there. Even with all of this it only stays between 40 and 50%.

Torts

5 Year Member
Washington State
I live in WA State where it is fairly humid from all the rain that we receive. I appreciate all of the suggestions. Ideally, I would like to dedicate a room for the torts but that probably won't be for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.