How to increased ambient humidity for Hermanns

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixon shells

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Laceby, Grimsby Lincolnshire, UK
Hi.....
Advice needed for my Hermann's regarding increasing humidity for their inside table
At present they have a dish of water in their run and have a soak (20 mins) either every other day or 3 days. The day time temp under the lamp ranges from 22 to 26c + but at night it falls to 16c the breeder said no heat needed at night (Olive and Spike are next week to loose their light, then along with daily baths for the next couple of weeks in readiness for hibernation)
They live on the wood chips (from reptile shop) and eat Dandelions etc
How would I increase their humidity in their home
Goodness you think you have grassped it then you learn something else :)

N.B Today I have started wetting their basking slate...will this help

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
I spray Emrys' enclosure each morning, to cover the entire top layer of his soil and make it damp.
I also soak him every day, but I don't think every two or three days is worse for them. :p

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I think enclosure humidity should be looked at in 3 different but equally important aspects: 1) Substrate moisture-Wood based substrates (cypress, aspen, etc...) are great for older tortoises whose bodies that have already developed into their adult form. While adults of many species do require some substrate moisture it varies based on species and other environmental conditions. But baby tortoises of almost every species, many of which will bury themselves, will benefit from additional substrate moisture. As a whole most babies grow smoother and more correctly when kept in soil based substrates. Organic potting, top or garden soil is a good base. Many people mix an additional moisture retainer in that in the form of coconut coir. I use a mixture of about 60% organic soil, 30% coconut coir and the rest ground sphagnum moss and leaf litter. I've found this combination to be excellent in moisture retention without being dripping wet if sprayed twice daily and saturated and churned well once a week. It also remains firm on top for good footing but can still be dug into by tortoises that wish to bury themselves.

2) Ambient air humidity-By maintaining an ambient humdity for Mediterranean tortoises of about 50-70% with 55-65% being ideal, it decreases the chance of them becoming dehydrated and helps to maintain some of the moisture in the substrate. Humidity can be provided by either a whole room humidifier or a small personal humidifier within the enclosure. Especially in the case of a small humidifier within the enclosure adequate air flow should also be maintained in order to provide excessive dampness or condensation build up.

3) Hydration-Either constant access to clean drinking water should be provided or the tortoise should be watered (soaked) outside of it's enclosure often. Every other day as a minimum for young tortoises.

Baby tortoises have a much smaller body mass than do larger adults and therefore can dehydrate rapidly under normal activity temperatures.

Below are examples of a 2 year old Eastern Hermann's and a 2 year old Ibera Greek raised in by the above method:

Eherm-1a.jpg

DSC00026.jpg

dixon shells

5 Year Member
Laceby, Grimsby Lincolnshire, UK
been out today and purchased sterilized soil, play sand coconut fiber brick (think this is the right stuff...you soak it and it expands) and a bag of sphagnum moss. Will have a go tomorrow
Have I got the correct coconut fiber?????

Status
Not open for further replies.