How much should he weigh?

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Galveston, Tx
I am very happy so far with Tippie's growth, eating, activity level, etc. I weighed him and he's about 85g. He's going on 8 months. Is this around what he should weigh? It's getting chilly here, so I only take him outside twice a day to graze, but I always bring extra inside in case he gets hungry.

Attachments

• IMG_20151111_124000410.jpg
    IMG_20151111_124000410.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 27

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
Well I have 2 7-8 month old. one is 81 grams and the other is 296 grams. Raised separate. Same set up same parents.

Guess if he seems healthy eating pooping and you are fallowing the humidity/heat/feeding guidelines.. Then he's perfect.

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Galveston, Tx
Well I have 2 7-8 month old. one is 81 grams and the other is 296 grams. Raised separate. Same set up same parents.

Guess if he seems healthy eating pooping and you are fallowing the humidity/heat/feeding guidelines.. Then he's perfect.
Oh wow! I didn't know there would be such a big difference in weight so early. But I'm glad his weight is within the normal ranges.

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
I have an 8 month old and he is 125g. He was 75g for about 3 months which was scary so I started feeding him mazuri twice a week and it jump started a grow spurt. He gains about a gram a day now. I've read from a lot of well known members that as long as they are gaining weight (fast or slow) it's a good sign :) good luck!

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
Take a look at deanS thread with his ivory sulcatas. They are all perfectly heathly and the same age. You will be amazed at the weight differences between all of them. As long as you are following Tom's how to raise a sulcata thread you should be good. Also as long as there is steady growth even if it's slow you are doing fine. Mazuri will definitely help bulk your little one up as suggested already.

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Galveston, Tx
Take a look at deanS thread with his ivory sulcatas. They are all perfectly heathly and the same age. You will be amazed at the weight differences between all of them. As long as you are following Tom's how to raise a sulcata thread you should be good. Also as long as there is steady growth even if it's slow you are doing fine. Mazuri will definitely help bulk your little one up as suggested already.
Where can I get Mazuri? Can I find it in stores, or only online? Also, thanks for the awesome advice and reassurance.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
Lol well I figured I'd make use of some of them since I make so much coffee

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I don't have Sulcatas, but I do have two Leopards and they both turned a year old in august. One is currently 350 grams and the other is 260. They have been raised separately for the last several months in identical conditions. The Mazuri and grassland tortoise food do help, both of mine started putting on weight faster once I added it to their diet a couple of times a week.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
WIth a good start, they can reach 400-500 grams by 8 months.

With a dry start, half that is good.

If yours has made it past the 50-60 gram mark, you are probably out of the woods, so to speak, and if temps, conditions, care, and diet are right, you should expect this baby to start sprouting in the next year.