How much should a 10" sulcata weigh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Ok! I measured and weighed my newest sulcata today and these were her measurements.

Carapace Length: 10"
Width: 8"
Height: roughly 5"
Weight: 7 pounds

Now is it just me or is she supposed to weigh more than 7 pounds? Also, I was told she is 6 years old.

Hardway

5 Year Member
Well, mine is 9" and weighs 5 lbs so 10" and 7 lbs sounds right. Mine is 3.5-4 years old.

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona
RE: How much should a 10" sulcata weigh?

Laura said:
seems a bit light.. when you pick her up, does she feel like a boulder or light?

She feels heavier than 7lbs when I pick her up..So I suppose that's good!

Hardway said:
Well, mine is 9" and weighs 5 lbs so 10" and 7 lbs sounds right. Mine is 3.5-4 years old.

Ok! That's good to know. Gives me some relief! :D

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Their isn't a set weight that a Sulcata "should" be at any point of its life........Some weigh a whole lot less than others, so it's an individual thing.........

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Dr. Susan Donoghue did a study on several tortoises and terrestrial turtles (76 individuals over 112 species) and determined that the general relationship of length to weight in healthy tortoises tends to follow a pretty consistent pattern- the target weight in grams is the straight-line carapace length in centimeters, cubed, times 0.191.

10"SCL = 25.4cm, so with the formula 25.4^3x0.191, we get 3130grams, which is 6.9lbs- so if your measurements are good, the weight is good.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I just checked this formula with a few of my leopards, and was surprised at how close the results were from 5"to 16", it was within a few percent of actual.
Madkins007 said:
Dr. Susan Donoghue did a study on several tortoises and terrestrial turtles (76 individuals over 112 species) and determined that the general relationship of length to weight in healthy tortoises tends to follow a pretty consistent pattern- the target weight in grams is the straight-line carapace length in centimeters, cubed, times 0.191.

10"SCL = 25.4cm, so with the formula 25.4^3x0.191, we get 3130grams, which is 6.9lbs- so if your measurements are good, the weight is good.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Climber is a hair under 10" and weighs 7.1 pounds (at 29 months old)...and he's 'high-domed'...so I'd say we're in the ballpark calling 7# a good "average" for 10 inches!

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona
RE: How much should a 10" sulcata weigh?

DeanS said:
Climber is a hair under 10" and weighs 7.1 pounds (at 29 months old)...and he's 'high-domed'...so I'd say we're in the ballpark calling 7# a good "average" for 10 inches!

Thank goodness! I was worried she was underweight..but she's not, so thank you! :D

Hardway

5 Year Member
DeanS said:

I have limited experience...but isnt that pretty big for a 2 year old tortoise ? What's his diet like ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hardway said:
I have limited experience...but isnt that pretty big for a 2 year old tortoise ? What's his diet like ?

No, Todd...that just gives you some little idea of how fast sulcatas grow. If I remember correctly, you got your sulcata when it was 3 and a half years old, and its about the same size as this one. They all grow at different rates, some faster than others. It might be how much they're fed, how they're kept (too hot, too cold), any number of reasons.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
...actually, I consider him average! I've seen some as big as 10" and 10# in their first year! I wish Brad would chime in with his growth rates. He raises the 'pure' Sudan strain of sulcata. These are the largest of the sulcata subspecies...attaining 250# (on the average) by the time they're 30 years old!

BTW...mine get a diet of moistened chow (3/4 Mazuri, 1/4 Marion) plus added hay...alfalfa, bermuda, timothy...chopped small. I form it all into a meatball so they can't pick just the Mazuri or just the Marion...plus they all graze on fescues and ryes. This Spring, I'm going to clear out one of my lawns and seed it with a cold-tolerant Bermudagrass...so that will make their diet even more varied...and beneficial.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Would that be username bfmorris? Yes...I'd love to see his pictures.

Hardway

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hardway said:

No, Todd...that just gives you some little idea of how fast sulcatas grow. If I remember correctly, you got your sulcata when it was 3 and a half years old, and its about the same size as this one. They all grow at different rates, some faster than others. It might be how much they're fed, how they're kept (too hot, too cold), any number of reasons.
Wow...well mine was kept on sand with no uvb. I think the only reason mine is not in bad shape was that the previous owner let it out in the yard alot. He's already gained 6 oz. since I got him about 2.5 weeks ago. Thanks for the info, guys
Flapjack.jpg

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
If your tort is outdoors at least 2 hours a day (on clear days)...there really isn't a need for UVB. Hardway's sully doesn't look bad and his slight pyramiding is likely a diet/hydration issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.