How does dome size affect temp / uv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Vernon Hills, IL
Does anyone know how the size of the dome used (say with a MVB) affects how it distributes heat below it? If I keep my light stand at the same height and use a deep dome, a regular dome and a mini dome, how does that change things below it?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Interesting question! I never really gave it much thought. To me the regular type dome, like used for chickens, would give out the heat/light to a wider space. The smaller domes would do more of a pinpoint location. I am going to make a guess the deeper dome would give a hotter spot. Now let's see how far I am off in my wild guessing, when somebody with real answers comes along. :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Break out your temp gun and let us all know...

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
I could do that, but do you know how long those bulbs take to heat up and cool down? Besides - that's why I belong here... You guys are supposed to know!!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D We may be "suppose to know", but that doesn't mean we do! :D We are here to learn, too. :p Seriously, I just use the cheap chicken light reflectors, so I am not the one to be asking.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The size and shape of the dome affects the size of the hot spot under it, as well as possibly causing a problem by trapping heat around the bulb.

To be effective, the bulb has to 'sink into' the dome- if the bulb is level with the rim of the dome or sticks out a bit, it accomplishes very little. The bulb itself is also generating heat. If the dome is 'tight' around the bulb, it can get really hot, which may be a fire risk but more often just shortens the life of the bulb.

Domes also help keep the bulbs clean, dust free, and protect them against accidental sprays of water, etc.

Generally, we want a large 'parabolic' dome- lots of room around the bulb, bulb is inside the dome fully, and the dome shape is a flattened half-sphere to make a wide area of heat and UVB. A smaller, deeper dome can create a hotter spot, but I would prefer using a larger bulb to accomplish that.

Gloss white insides also reflect heat, light and UVB better than the plain aluminum does, and polished aluminum is better than dull aluminum.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Madkins007 said:
Gloss white insides also reflect heat, light and UVB better than the plain aluminum does, and polished aluminum is better than dull aluminum.

Gets out the polish and starts rubbing the dome....

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Jacqui said:
Madkins007 said:

Hahahaha!

More like "MUMMMMM... When you clean the house this weekend, don't forget to polish my tortoises light!" Hehe.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
stephiiberrybean said:
Jacqui said:
Madkins007 said:

Hahahaha!

More like "MUMMMMM... When you clean the house this weekend, don't forget to polish my tortoises light!" Hehe.

Gads you guys are industrious! I just spray-painted all of my domes white on the inside (and black on the outside so they 'blend in' better).

Status
Not open for further replies.