Dome fixture

Meeelinda

Hi I am looking around for a good dome fixture, and i will be using a MVB light. I was looking at reviews for . Zoo Med Deep Dome lamp fixture couple of the reviews said it caught on fire. Which worries me I would like to know which kind you all use and where did you purchase it at.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I get all my fixtures from Home Depot . Just make sure you buy the right wattage for the lamp you are going to use . Buy the one with a ceramic base .

Meeelinda

@mike taylor

I went to home depot and didn't see any deep dome fixture. Is there any chance you could send a picture of what fixture you have please?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
You Don't want the "deep dome" type. The bulb is too enclosed and can overheat. Most of us use the ones normally sold as "brooder lamps" as the most common application are for lights to heat baby chicks. Here's one on Home depot's web site. Home Depot brooder lamp.jpg

Meeelinda

@Markw84 @dannylozano10 Thank you both for posting up pictures.

I have a question if I buy a fixture
I have to make sure to buy a bulb that will go with it?
If one says 300 watt it has to be that or could it be 100 watt bulb?
I don't know what I am doing i just want to make sure I'm doing things right.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
300 watt is the max rating for the fixture. Use a 100 watt MVB bulb and you are great! Well within the max limit of the fixture and plenty of safety margin

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
@dannylozano10 I finally bought a fixture from home depot I decided to go with the 10.5 inch. which bulb do you recommend. I was looking into a MVB.

Yes ok great! I'm guessing it's the ceramic one?

Ok so if it is first question will it have a lot of outside time?

If yes then you can just get a regular 65 watt flood light for the heat and it will get its uvb from being outside...

If it won't have outside time then get a zoo med powersun mvb bulb the 125 watt bulb even from Amazon (note:DO NOT GET THE EXO TERRA MVB BULB)