How do I harvest Dandelions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Missouri
Question - There are literally millions of dandelions all around my house, but both to keep up supply, to start a decent population for the winter months and to be sure that there are no pesticides on the dandelions I would like to start a small planter of them inside. As dumb as this sounds, how do I obtain seeds from a dandelion that can be planted? I know that those feathery things that the flower produces after the plant is no longer yellow are the seeds, but when I was a kid I used to bury those all the time and I can't remember them ever growing. Should I try planting those feathery things again or is there something else that I should plant to get dandelion plants?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Don't bury them. Just sprinkle them on to the surface and water. Keep them warm too and they will germinate better.

Some of us are able to grow great dandelions very easily, while others, like me, have a hard time with them...

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am not one to give advice. My dandelion growing skills are nil. They don't grow around my house in the desert climate but up until I gots torts we had our yard sprayed for weeds (:cool:) I finally purchased some dandelion seeds from an online source and tried planting them in potted soil, with no luck. A couple of months ago, I finally dumped the rest of the seeds I had into an old pot of soil and just left them alone. Once in a great while I will spray some water over them and voila, one is growing now. So I think that neglect is the key in my case. I am also interested in what others have to say on this subject and will be checking back. I am wondering if I should pinch off leaves from the bottom or top or ??? to keep the plant producing.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I call those "wishes" since when I was younger I would blow them and make a wish...but you could harvest them..when you see the fluffy weed just pluck it and let it dry out...and put the seeds in a envelope...you can then take an empty egg carton and fill the sections with potting soil and put a few seeds on top and water them..let the carton sit in the window sill in the sun...soon they will spout..or you can just scatter them through your lawn and they will take over...:)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I grow mine in pots, plus a neighbor of mine has a back yard full of them so I am supplied all year round. The best way is to separate the seed from the fluffy part ( scientific term I believe) and then plant the seeds like any other. I let mine dry for a couple of days in a plastic baggie, and then you will see a pile of little black seeds at the bottom of the bag.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
I grow mine in pots, plus a neighbor of mine has a back yard full of them so I am supplied all year round. The best way is to separate the seed from the fluffy part ( scientific term I believe) and then plant the seeds like any other. I let mine dry for a couple of days in a plastic baggie, and then you will see a pile of little black seeds at the bottom of the bag.

Dj'....ya sure thats dandelion yer talking about? ....:D:p;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
N2TORTS said:
dmmj said:

Dj'....ya sure thats dandelion yer talking about? ....:D:p;)
No comment

Mel

5 Year Member
My Yellow Foot doesn't seem to go for weeds around the yard. I tried pulling some and putting them in the pen. She doesn't seem to eat them. (Yet I have caught her eating dog poop. Eww!) Is she prefering the other stuff I give her and holding out? Are your torts aggressive when going for Dandelions like they really like them? Those are the yellow flowers that have the fluffy balls right?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Those are the yellow flowers that have the fluffy balls right?

I will let Captain handle this part.....:p

Dont get me started on dandelion growing skills.....I will be out kicking rocks now.....lol

Comrad Turtles "grandma"

10 Year Member!
las Vegas, NV
Mel said:
My Yellow Foot doesn't seem to go for weeds around the yard. I tried pulling some and putting them in the pen. She doesn't seem to eat them. (Yet I have caught her eating dog poop. Eww!) Is she prefering the other stuff I give her and holding out? Are your torts aggressive when going for Dandelions like they really like them? Those are the yellow flowers that have the fluffy balls right?

I just recently was able to get my hands on some dandelions to offer to Comrad. At first he didn't seem interested when I held it out for him, but after a 2nd offering he stretched his neck out really far to get a nice big bite! I scoured my back yard for anymore and he happily devoured 5 of them (only the green part though, they hadn't flowered yet). So... yes Comrad went a lil nuts over them :D

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
maybe i needed to dry them out then because i hadn't done that, thank you for your advice everyone :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Still, they are weeds and as such thy must protect the honor of all weeds and only grow where and when they want to, not when a mere human does. :p :D

Status
Not open for further replies.