Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter951

5 Year Member
Hey everyone! I have two desert tortoises. They are about 3 years old now. I was wondering if you would suggest hibernation or not. Right now they are outside in their pen. They are slow and barely eat anymore. Should I set up a cardboard box for them to sleep in during the winter (which would be in my garage..) OR should I let them live outside. If it helps the topic I live in Southern California. Any ideas?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I would personally vote for brumation in a padded/cushy tote and place that in an area that will remain continuously cool (no real spikes in cool/freezing to warm/hot)...Do they have natural burrows or do they sleep in an above ground hide?

Hunter951

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I would personally vote for brumation in a padded/cushy tote and place that in an area that will remain continuously cool (no real spikes in cool/freezing to warm/hot)...Do they have natural burrows or do they sleep in an above ground hide?

They try to burrow into the ground. The only problem is if it rains...
I have a hide right now that they sleep in above ground.
I was thinking a plastic tub. Inside their I would put some CareFresh on the bottom and then put some hay on the top. Maybe put a "tunnel" object to get the burrow started? Then drape a towel over the top (but make sure there is air..)?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I allow my brumating species to brumate unless they are sick or there's another reason not to allow it.

BUT!!!

I never allow them to brumate outside. I live in an area that gets too much rainfall during the winter. If you live where desert tortoises occur naturally, then it would be ok for you to allow them to sleep in their burrow. But if you get much rain during the winter, its best if you box them up.

I used to let them dig a burrow, but it was real hard getting them when they were all out of the burrow when it came time to box them up. So I filled in the burrow and built them a nice above ground house under the shade of the tree. Now when its time to box them up, I just lift the lid of their house and there they all are.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I personally would not use that wood shaving stuff...(again, this is my preference) ..I use a cotton towel folded up several times (others I have seen use shredded newspaper as padding/buffer) and then lightly drape a cotton tshirt over them in the event they want to dig in a bit....I don't know if you will want to place a half log in with them...it may pose a roll over hazard that they likely will not utilize..

Just be sure to provide a cool, dry, dark, somewhat quiet place that does not allow any rodent hazard exposure....and that is easily accessed so you can do the periodic peek in on them...

I live here in the High Desert...I use to let them brumate outdoors--however, when we had those few years here where it rain heavily (6 days straigth!!) accompanied by freezing temps I was not comfortable supporting their brumation outdoors...so they brumate indoors now--well, except for one who was able to get into his burrow before I could get to him--little bugger..

Hunter951

5 Year Member
Okay. We have a dog carrier that we are thinking of using. It can be filled with hay and other sorts of materials to make it seem like a burrow. What is the deal about no letting them eat and making sure you soak them. Can someone explain this to me?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If they don't clear out their stomachs and intestinal tracts then the food sits there and rots. In nature, a tortoise will automatically stop eating on its own about two weeks prior to going into his winter slumber. If your tortoises are outside, they probably have stopped eating. If indoors, they don't know they're supposed to be getting ready for hibernation.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
It can be filled with hay and other sorts of materials to make it seem like a burrow.

A tortoise knows when it is in a burrow and when it is not.... So safe, clean, cool, dry and somewhat quiet are important things.....:D

Hunter951

5 Year Member
ascott said:
It can be filled with hay and other sorts of materials to make it seem like a burrow.

A tortoise knows when it is in a burrow and when it is not.... So safe, clean, cool, dry and somewhat quiet are important things.....:D

Okay. I will be working on that shortly.

Hunter951

5 Year Member
Thank you! New question:
Since this is my first time (along with my tortoise) setting them up for hibernation... should they hibernate for only a couple weeks? I heard twice now that tortoises that hibernate for the first time should only hibernate for 4-5 weeks. Do you agree with this statement?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is what I agree with:

A new-to-you tortoise should be kept awake the first winter with you.

If you are unable to keep the tortoise awake, he just won't stay awake, then a 2 week "pretend" hibernation would be ok, but then get him up after two weeks and make him think it's summertime.

Hunter951

5 Year Member
I have had my tortoises for 2 years now. Both years they were kept awake inside my house/outside with a heat lamp. Does that change anything?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, that doesn't change anything. The tortoise is no longer new-to-you, so if you allow him to brumate (hibernate) then you should let him sleep as long as he wants to.

Hunter951

5 Year Member
Okay. Should I stop letting them eat now or still let them eat untill like December?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If the tortoises are outside, they will stop eating on their own. They have been doing this for eons and do it naturally without us telling them it is time to stop eating. When they are ready to brumate, they will stop eating.

Hunter951

5 Year Member
Do I allow them to brumate then pick them up and put them inside the box for them to hibernate? Or put them in the box before they begin to brumate?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Do I allow them to brumate then pick them up and put them inside the box for them to hibernate? Or put them in the box before they begin to brumate?

I have done it both ways....If your tort is going to brumate this year yet has not had the normal triggers for a couple of years then I would let them experience the weather changes from the day into the early night (unless of course you are in an area that is below freezing temps at night) for as long as possible so that they will get into the groove of what is naturally happening with them...

Wait around for Yvonnes reply....I too enjoy hearing what her take is on this subject :D

Hunter951

5 Year Member
Just an update... They still aren't eating. Planning to give them a nice,warm soak today to make sure there isn't anything in their stomach. I checked on them when they were outside this morning... One of them was asleep and wouldn't get up. I warmed her up a little just so i can get her in some sun light. I am still getting their hibernation zone ready. It is a dog carrier with shredded paper, hay, and crumpled papers. I plan to add more shredded paper to it. I also am going to put a towel to make is darker. Anything else?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When the weather starts to cool down, and a tortoise stops eating, they will still come out in the a.m. and soak up some sun. If you see them coming out every morning, they aren't ready to go down yet. Once you don't see them coming out any more, that's when you box them up. Even if they've been inside their house for a week and not coming out, they aren't actually brumating yet. They are just too cold to move. It takes quite a while for them to reach the brumate stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.