Hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andylee200

5 Year Member
Hello Im new to tortoises and i heard that its close to hibernating season?

so.. can you please answer my questions pleassee! :)

- what am i suppose to do/provide/help?
- when do i start? and when does it finish?
[/b]
thanks in advance!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Andylee200:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Close to hibernation????? Where are you that its getting close to hibernation? Its the middle of summer here.

These are my thoughts on hibernation:

If the tortoise is new to you this year, then you shouldn't allow it to hibernate. You need time to be able to watch the tortoise, get acquainted with it and its habits and to be sure it is healthy enough to hibernate.

If your tortoise is indoors, he won't know its time to hibernate, but if he's outside, about two or three weeks before the tortoise senses the shorter days and cooler nights, he'll stop eating in order to clear out his intestinal tract. Depending upon where you live, you would prepare a dry and safe place for him. I use a cardboard box stuffed with shredded paper and place the box in a cool dry spot for the winter. He will go in on his own, and wake up on his own. You just listen for scraping in the box to know he's awake and wanting out.

Ask these questions again next winter when you are ready for hibernation. I don't think you should allow it this year.

Andylee200

5 Year Member
hey im Andy and im from the united kingdom:)

ooh right okay, my tortoise lives indoors, i just thought the tortoise would 'want' to hibernate naturally?

if you get what i mean? hmm.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Andy:

No, your tortoise won't even know its time to hibernate unless you make him be cooler at night and shorten the length of time you have his lights on.

I'm pretty sure the Northern hemisphere is all the same season-wise. You have three or four months before you have to worry about hibernation.

Status
Not open for further replies.