Hibernation

Meeelinda

Hi everyone,
Its been awhile since I've been on here. I hope all the tortoise and turtles are doing good! I know its still summer and winter is a long way from now, but I have been thinking about hibernation. Is there any care sheet for hibernating tortoise? or if anyone could give me some advice or links I could look at.

I would really appreciate it. I want to feel prepared and comfortable when the time comes.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Idk if there are caresheets Google it though it might pull old threads up. Pretty much when it gets cooler and days shorter tortoises will slow down.. You want to keep them fed and hydrated sonthry go into hibernation heavy . some people do it artificially via fridge or even a basement and cooler. Some naturally. Really depends on the species and location

Kyle

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
my older Russian has never hibernated I'm concerned for my first year with my little guy.. hopefully I can get the lightning thing down

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
My Greek tort (Oli :<3: ) only hibernated the first Winter after I got him. I presume it is the relatively warm temperature at home.:)

Meeelinda

Maybe I shouldn't hibernate the little guy than. I just heard they live longer when they hibernate. I guess I have time to think about it. Thank you All!