hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I do the outside hibernation with the Ornate and Three toed boxies and then the RES and paints, too. Makes sense since they are native to this area.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This also depends upon the type of turtle/tortoise, where you live and the weather during your winters. Here in Central California, the winters are too wet to allow the Russians and desert tortoises to hibernate outside. However, the box turtles do just fine through our winters outside.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
moe, not all Greeks hibernate. So you need to know your subspecies to know if yours are the type that hibernate or not. If you post pics in the Photo or Greek section perhaps we can help you identify its sub species. So you will absolutely know if it hibernates or not.

danieledwards2006

10 Year Member!
England
My greeks are T.G Ibera do they hibernate? i have had mixed answers about hibernation I have heard it is good to let them as it stops un-natural growth but then my vet said it is gambling with your pets life. What are your views.

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
danieledwards2006 said:
My greeks are T.G Ibera do they hibernate? i have had mixed answers about hibernation I have heard it is good to let them as it stops un-natural growth but then my vet said it is gambling with your pets life. What are your views.

I have three greeks (ibera) and 1 hermann's. Two out of three greeks and the hermann's hibernated last year. I let my tortoise make their own choice. When the weather was getting colder and colder, they usually eat less and less, then bury themselves somewhere in my backyard where the soil is soft. One of the greeks kept eating a lot and was still active when the rests were already hibernating, so I took her inside the house and kept her warm the whole winter.

Oh btw I live in San Jose, California; winter is cold but not as cold as many other parts of the country. Overnight low maybe in the low 30s during December/January and no snow.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I hibernate my ornates, 3 toeds, and russians, I let them decide if they are going to hibernate or not. I usually get a few that don't so they stay inside during the winter months. But personally if it got below zero here then I would find a spot inside to hibernate or maybe a garage, or a wine cooler. The most important part is to only hibernate if you know that your tort is healthy, free of worms and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.