Hibernation/MBD

Rasputin68

Hi, my name is Jim, I'm from Michigan and I have 11 Russian tortoises. The majority of tortoises I've gotten have some form of MBD but from what I've heard this condition can be improved over time with good food, sunlight, exercise etc... My question is whether or not hibernation can help a tort with MBD? That is if it undergoes something natural like hibernation, will it repair itself better than if it were active under UVB lights? Has anyone heard anything regarding this? Maybe active during winter with UVB is better?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I am originally from michigan.
I am guessing here, but I would think best not to hibernate, more UVB exposure plus an unhealthy tort should not be put in brumation(hibernation)

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Never hibernate an unhealthy tortoise, take this as a rule of thumb. He will need that extra UVB in winter that you will provide :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What makes you think the majority of your russians have MBD. That is pretty uncommon.

Hibernation won't have much effect on MBD one way or the other. It will slow progressing MBD just the same as it will slow mending MBD. All metabolic processes slow or stop during hibernation.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
What makes you think the majority of your russians have MBD. That is pretty uncommon.

Hibernation won't have much effect on MBD one way or the other. It will slow progressing MBD just the same as it will slow mending MBD. All metabolic processes slow or stop during hibernation.
I should've known better, I learn more & more every day :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Rasputin68, how long have you had your tortoises? Hibernation depends on how healthy your tortoises are (weight, etc.), how well you know them and their basic health, and whether you have had them for at least a year.
As far as your tortoises' gradual recovery if they have MBD, that could take several years. So Tom is right, hibernation (aka brumation) probably won't have an impact on that recovery over that span of years.
Though you do raise a good question!